Getting an off the plate/outside strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
My daughter has been catching a lot the last few weeks and finally pitched again today. First time pitching 43ft. Again we had the same issues with the outside strike. She was all the way on the edge of the rubber and still going too far left. This pitch was called a strike but I'm wondering if how she is flipping her hand outward at the end is causing it to tail out more left? There are many more things I am sure to fix but working on this issue right now. Would a finish of some sort help? How do you finish without doing hello elbow?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What kind of spin does that pitch have? She could be 'losing' the ball between the index finger and the thumb, it kind of slips out, with bullet spin. If that's the case having her focus on throwing top spin could be a fix.

Jun 14, 2019
Meant to get some video tonight to see her spin but she threw a no hitter and I forgot all about it. Her coach told her when she was warming up that she was turning her hand over before she was snapping. I guess she fixed that and had none of those just barely off pitches. Any balls she had were clear miss pitches.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You really need to take a video from the back and side. I think she has a flaw in her upper body position at release, but it's hard to tell from the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red