Zombie Drill Tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Looks good to me. Off the rubber at the right time, front foot down as well. No suggestions. This will help her feel the correct separation during normal pitching.

Aug 20, 2017

scroll down

Aug 21, 2008
Ok, I read it. But I still don't understand it's purpose. Is it designed to fix something? Help something?

Off the top of my head, I see this as another "drill" that is NOT teaching the pitcher to use their arms to help momentum. Similar to one of the reasons I think the backswing can be useless, this doesn't have the pitcher leading forward with the arms. I don't see the upper half helping load the lower half for the push. ARMS LEAD THE WAY off the rubber. Just like arms (plural, not just 1 arm like with a backswing) should lead the way when someone jumps up in the air, jumps forward, when they run... all of these examples have the arms (plural) helping the body's momentum. Think of yourself jumping upwards to touch a high ceiling, you use BOTH of your arms to help lift your body. Or if you jumped forward in a broad jump, you'd use both of your arms for the push forward. Pitching isn't any different. Arms lead the way in the push. I don't see that in this exercise so I am not sure what it is that someone is doing.

There are a lot of "drills" I see that I don't understand so this isn't unusual for me.

Bill

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Seems to be a good way to strengthen the core and to learn body control.

Aug 21, 2008
Seems to be a good way to strengthen the core and to learn body control.

Body control? If you mean by NOT working on the muscle memory needed, I'd agree.

I admit it, I don't understand 75% of the drills some people use. And the problem is, most of those people using them don't understand them either. Like a lot of things in pitching (hello elbow teachings for example) they are just passed down from one generation to the next without a thought of what's being done or why. I do realize I'm in the minority on a lot of things pitching related, but to me... a lot of drills I see being done are like taking an Advil when you don't even have a headache. So I truly don't get it. I didn't read ALL of this in the "drive mechanics" thread but, maybe I should. Maybe that would explain to me why this "drill" is in that particular thread when several things being done are not helping the drive at all. I'm truly not trying to be an a$$, I don't understand the purpose of this and I'd like to understand it.

Bill

Apr 30, 2018
One of the reasons we decided to try something different with DD's journey is because we were getting real good at doing drills, but not seeing any carryover to actual pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad