Zip-N-Hit???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Anyone have an opinion on the ZIP-N-HIT. You've probably seen it. The softball on two strings that you tie to a pole, then pull apart and the ball "Zips" to the batter at 45 - 50 MPH. It's cheap and I can see it as a possible suppliment in gym practices over winter. The problem I have is that the instructions say "always hit down on the ball" and in fact since you bat is above the string when you start your swing you have to hit down. Anyone find a use for this device? Derick Jeter sure likes it!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I used it for the first time last spring in an early, pre-season practice for 12U rec team. It was a novelty in that it was fun and different (but maybe distracting). Now that I've tried it, I would rather not use it again. Yes it's good for timing, zipping pitches in at 50mph but IMHO,it doesn't encourage the batter to address the ball correctly.

What good is timing if you're topping or popping up the ball?

I like whiffle balls better. Even though I don't use it a lot, I like the Personal Pitcher. It can shoot the ball fast or not and the golfball-size whiffle balls force the batter to focus on a small target. If they can hit those golfballs, they can hit anything!

Sep 18, 2008
lhowser, there were some favorable comments on it in my "Upper Cut Swing" thread. You should check it out.

Jun 20, 2008
Just throw the directions away and use it ti help keep the barrell of the bat level through the ball and hitting zone.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I like it too. The line gives the hitter a path to follow -- makes the path of the ball more obvious for those who can't visualize the ball as anything but a point in space. It also shows you which players are dropping their hands to start the swing -- they are consistently under the line when they swing.

It's like anything else. If you use it intelligently, it works well. And it is fun. If you use it randomly to take up time for hitting stations, it won't do much for you, and may work against you.

R

RayR

A couple of issues to watch for:

Ball decelerates a lot coming down the line and can cause timing issues which can lead to:

Players figuring out that if that lay the bat on the line and swing they will make better contact as opposed to having a swing plane that is perpendicular to the spine. Basically, it can/may promote a level to the ground swing.

Aug 15, 2008
I've noticed players who over use this tool have trouble hitting squarely on the ball. We noticed an increase in poorly hit grounders.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28