ZAP...no-one there...now what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Bumping this post to encourage catchers to fire that ball!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT !!

RAD, you'll be happy to know that one of my focuses this summer is getting our catchers to throw people out. Mostly pickoffs, and mostly at third.

My one catcher has picked a number of girls off third. It turns out that if your catcher just immediately fires the ball to the 3B (I have her creeping about a step and a half behind the runner), a lot of runners are just not prepared. They're waiting for the catcher to get up, to look, to chase, etc. They're often not ready for the quick throw. We've gotten at least one trying to get back to third, and two who tried taking off for home.

Question to you: With a RH batter, what would you consider the ideal way to do a throw from the knees to third on a pickoff? What I worked on in practice was, if it's an outside pitch, to push off the left leg almost as if going into a block to clear a lane so the batter is not in the way. I think all three of the pickoffs had her quickly stand and fire, but I think a knees throw could work. Would obviously be much easier with a LH batter.

May 13, 2023
RAD, you'll be happy to know that one of my focuses this summer is getting our catchers to throw people out. Mostly pickoffs, and mostly at third.
Fantastic! like catchers being on the attack because it creates getting outs!!
Removing possible runs scored.

My one catcher has picked a number of girls off third. It turns out that if your catcher just immediately fires the ball to the 3B (I have her creeping about a step and a half behind the runner), a lot of runners are just not prepared. They're waiting for the catcher to get up, to look, to chase, etc. They're often not ready for the quick throw. We've gotten at least one trying to get back to third, and two who tried taking off for home.
Yes! Fire immediately!
Question to you: With a RH batter, what would you consider the ideal way to do a throw from the knees to third on a pickoff? What I worked on in practice was, if it's an outside pitch, to push off the left leg almost as if going into a block to clear a lane so the batter is not in the way. I think all three of the pickoffs had her quickly stand and fire, but I think a knees throw could work. Would obviously be much easier with a LH batter.
Yes basic explanation maneuver clearing the lane.
It is inclusive of receiving the ball and moving into the throw.
Feet or knee's pending pitch location.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Fantastic! like catchers being on the attack because it creates getting outs!!
Removing possible runs scored.

Three runners thrown out yesterday (two CS, one out trying to advance on a passed ball).

She did miss another pop up so we need to help her with that (issues finding the ball quickly and getting into a good position), but she's taking big strides ride now. Her blocking still stinks (mostly because she doesn't like doing it) though.

Jun 14, 2019
ZAP throwing to get runners out...
no defense to receive the throw.

NOW WHAT?

Then whats worse?... Ahhgggg
Somes coaches say dont throw it.
Parents in the stands seeing the ball zing to the outfield.
Runners advance to another base.
Or worse yet runner stealing from 2nd to 3rd...catcher throws to 3rd...no -one there ball into the outfield....runner scores.
Coach gets mad at the catcher!!!

SO I'M SPEAKING UP!!! :)
ASKING THIS QUESTION

What is the best way to handle
this problem/situation!

This may be one of the most difficult developmental conundrums catchers face!!!
A critical topic in a catchers performance, posibly affecting the courage/instinct/reaction to throw!

How should this be resolved?
How did your dd/catcher handle this?
Coaches, how about you?

THE GREEN LIGHT IS ON!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!
Yes! My 12u attempts pick offs more than any kid I have seen at her level. She will do it over and over again. I watched her throw to 3rd 6 times in a row and none were caught. Ball went to the outfield, runners came home. I have taught her if she waits for someone to yell running it is too late. You have to make the choice before the pitch. It is a hard balance between wanting her to not be scared to make the attempt and also playing smart and knowing the count. 2nd is a whole different story at that age. I have seen just a handful of successful 2nd base pickoffs for 12u. Yet coaches are yelling at their catcher as if they are going to suddenly have college level skills. Focus on the fact that they attempted it and work from there.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Yes! My 12u attempts pick offs more than any kid I have seen at her level. She will do it over and over again. I watched her throw to 3rd 6 times in a row and none were caught. Ball went to the outfield, runners came home. I have taught her if she waits for someone to yell running it is too late. You have to make the choice before the pitch. It is a hard balance between wanting her to not be scared to make the attempt and also playing smart and knowing the count. 2nd is a whole different story at that age. I have seen just a handful of successful 2nd base pickoffs for 12u. Yet coaches are yelling at their catcher as if they are going to suddenly have college level skills. Focus on the fact that they attempted it and work from there.
Like this so much 👍
Let's read it again! 😎

How does the coach speak to the team about this?

Jun 14, 2019
Like this so much 👍
Let's read it again! 😎

How does the coach speak to the team about this?
Travel coach expects the infield to be there and outfield to backup. She has only been reprimanded for one high throw to 3rd and trying to back pick 1st base with a runner on 3rd. He has coached a long time and is aware of what to expect from each age group and what you are actually trying to develop. My daughter is 10u eligible but plays 12u, she was pulled up for 14u to sub. I noticed he was much harder on her for 14u which tells me he is expecting a certain level at each age versus blanket coaching and just yelling when the kids are losing.

Rec coach yelled at her to make better throws and eventually to stop throwing at all. She rarely has a bad throw to 3rd even being a lefty. 2nd base she is working on keeping her throw flat, but it is usually on target. She did start hesitating unfortunately by the end of the season.

May 13, 2023
Travel coach expects the infield to be there and outfield to backup.
Hooray!
He has coached a long time and is aware of what to expect from each age group and what you are actually trying to develop. My daughter is 10u eligible but plays 12u, she was pulled up for 14u to sub.
I noticed he was much harder on her for 14u which tells me he is expecting a certain level at each age versus blanket coaching and just yelling when the kids are losing.
Train for the next level!

Seems like time to move on from Rec

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812