Youth catchers mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2021
10 yo town travel and rec player, catches approx 50% of innings, but hoping fewer this year (doesn’t love it and new player joined team who wants to try catching.) Has been using regular glove but starting to sting even with Markwort insert. 12” ball this year. Considered Vinci Fortus but prefer something she can try on and return. Her sister’s 34” LA is too large. Has anyone used a Rawlings Shutout softball or baseball mitt, or Renegade? The Shutout baseball version looks nicer in person than the others. Not sure if too small for 12” ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2021
Thank you. Was hoping someone would say that one of these Rawlings was okay for a year or 2 - can find for $50 versus $100 for the Fortus.

Oct 14, 2020
My daughter's Rawlings Shutout SB mitt is starting its 5th year of use. It's almost too small for the 12" ball IMHO, but she likes not fishing around inside the glove for the ball for transfers. Another catcher her age from the "B" team has the R9, and is finally moving to a Rawlings LA after a similar number of years with the R9.

We got the Shutout for ~$60 back in the day, and it's been in soaking rain and blasting sunshine and has been beat to crap and she loves it. No stinging or other problems.

YMMV, FWIW, ADMNA (AnnasDad Might Not Approve ;)), etc.

Oct 16, 2019
My DD used a Mizuno Prospect 32.5" catchers mitt for two seasons and loved it - super easy to break in. It finally gave in and I replaced it. Very inexpensive, but won't last forever.

Nov 1, 2022
10 yo town travel and rec player, catches approx 50% of innings, but hoping fewer this year (doesn’t love it and new player joined team who wants to try catching.) Has been using regular glove but starting to sting even with Markwort insert. 12” ball this year. Considered Vinci Fortus but prefer something she can try on and return. Her sister’s 34” LA is too large. Has anyone used a Rawlings Shutout softball or baseball mitt, or Renegade? The Shutout baseball version looks nicer in person than the others. Not sure if too small for 12” ball.

My daughter used an older Louisville Bionic catcher's mitt, I think 32.5 and used it up until the end of 16U and it caught 12" balls well. It is a little heavier but definitely a decent tool behind the plate. If she is getting stung a lot then perhaps she is a little bit off on her catch and missing some of the pocket. I bought the inner padded glove for my daughter who know catches in college and sees 60+ MPH balls all the time and she doesn't wear the markwort. I think pushing her to be a catcher is a good thing if she ever wants to play beyond HS. It is a position in demand for those girls who have skills and a lot of colleges put them near the top of the recruiting list just behind pitchers. I think a catcher has to have that assassin mentality though-to want/need the thrill of throwing out players stealing. Bottom line-if she grunts out the effort and puts the work in to be a master blocker, and thrower she can expect to find a home after HS ball. It takes a lot of work for sure, like any position but it is harder on the muscles and the back but after 10k reps behind the plate she will be in great condition for it. Get that pop time to 1.9 secs or less, and home to first run time 3 secs or lower and be able to hit the ball and she will be in a good place as a catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802