Your opinion wanted: Sample Chapter -- Courtesy Runners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
OK ... so ... It looks like this may be the first real tangible part of the book I started talking about awhile back. I started the forward a few weeks ago when I think I cracked the way I wanted to approach it. I kept thinking about highest-level-down (NCAA), but realized the highest and most common level most girls will play is probably NFHS. That may sound like a strange stumbling block, but I decided to use NFHS as the Rosetta Stone to compare other codes to.

I am presenting this sample for your feedback. Please tear it to shreds ... Let me know what you think of the format, the information that is presented, what I missed or got wrong, what you would like to see, etc. Let me know where I left (or forgot) an errant comma (I am a staunch Oxford comma advocate!) or dangled a participle. Does it need some fun stories?

I do know that I need to look into case plays ... something I just thought of.

Attachments

• SRD Courtesy Runner.pdf
    107 KB · Views: 77
Jan 11, 2015
OK ... so ... It looks like this may be the first real tangible part of the book I started talking about awhile back. I started the forward a few weeks ago when I think I cracked the way I wanted to approach it. I kept thinking about highest-level-down (NCAA), but realized the highest and most common level most girls will play is probably NFHS. That may sound like a strange stumbling block, but I decided to use NFHS as the Rosetta Stone to compare other codes to.

I am presenting this sample for your feedback. Please tear it to shreds ... Let me know what you think of the format, the information that is presented, what I missed or got wrong, what you would like to see, etc. Let me know where I left (or forgot) an errant comma (I am a staunch Oxford comma advocate!) or dangled a participle. Does it need some fun stories?

I do know that I need to look into case plays ... something I just thought of.
Should put in that the player can't be used as a courtesy runner and as a legal sub in the same half inning.

Oct 14, 2020
Thanks for this. Was reading NAFA rules because we're at NAFA Nationals in a week; maybe include those CR rules too?

I'll go through with an editor's (okay, attorney's) eye in a little bit and PM you what I see?

May 29, 2015
Thanks for this. Was reading NAFA rules because we're at NAFA Nationals in a week; maybe include those CR rules too?

I'll go through with an editor's (okay, attorney's) eye in a little bit and PM you what I see?

VERY much appreciated!

Honestly, I have never even heard of NAFA ... That is one of the major challenges to this undertaking though. There are so many different codes out there that I could never include all of them. I went for the major ones that I am familiar with. I'd love to hear thoughts on whether those are the right ones though!

I didn't add PGF since they are essentially NFHS with modifications.
I didn't add Little League or PONY as they kind of exist in their own unique bubble.
Others I am not familiar with and don't think they are large enough to include are NSA (arguable?) and a ton of others I had never heard of before Google, including FASA who does not put together a complete rule set, but relies on the "universal basics" of softball.

I suppose NAIA would be one to look in to. I can't say I have ever studied their rules, so I don't know how different they are than NCAA.

EDIT: OK, NAFA ... your website is Wordpress and the contact information for umpires is for somebody's golf business using a Yahoo domain. It appears to be focused on men's fastpitch, so it's not going to meet my metric.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020
VERY much appreciated!

Honestly, I have never even heard of NAFA ... That is one of the major challenges to this undertaking though. There are so many different codes out there that I could never include all of them. I went for the major ones that I am familiar with. I'd love to hear thoughts on whether those are the right ones though!

EDIT: OK, NAFA ... your website is Wordpress and the contact information for umpires is for somebody's golf business using a Yahoo domain. It appears to be focused on men's fastpitch, so it's not going to meet my metric.

Not that it helps much, but it's a different NAFA lol:

NAFA seems to be a regional organization more than a national body.

In retrospect I agree - I think what you've got covers all the main bases.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
NFHS: The only thing I might think to add/address is if a pitcher or catcher changes to the other position during a game, the CR would need to be changed as well (i.e. if Susan Jones was the CR for the starting pitcher, Mary Smith and Mary changes to catcher, then Susan Jones would NOT be able to CR for Mary any longer)

Aug 25, 2019
A situation came up in DD's High School game, a pinch hitter was hitting for the pitcher (the pitch hitter was also a pitcher who was going to relieve the pitcher), She got on base, and the coach wanted a courtesy runner for her. But it was not allowed since the batter had not yet pitched in the game.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
A situation came up in DD's High School game, a pinch hitter was hitting for the pitcher (the pitch hitter was also a pitcher who was going to relieve the pitcher), She got on base, and the coach wanted a courtesy runner for her. But it was not allowed since the batter had not yet pitched in the game.

Correct ruling, the PH was NOT the pitcher of record. Also why, as an umpire you ALWAYS double check the starting pitcher listed on the line-up card for the visiting team, since that pitcher may come up to bat before she has thrown a pitch.

((TMIB, not sure if the book is intended to be how to avoid issues like this so I apologize if this takes the thread on a tangent))

May 29, 2015
NFHS: The only thing I might think to add/address is if a pitcher or catcher changes to the other position during a game, the CR would need to be changed as well (i.e. if Susan Jones was the CR for the starting pitcher, Mary Smith and Mary changes to catcher, then Susan Jones would NOT be able to CR for Mary any longer)

So, include some emphasis that the CR is tied to the position, not the player. Good thought.

I like that example. I haven't gone through NFHS case plays yet ... do you know if that is a case play already? I ask because I am trying to stay away from just repeating material put out by the orgs.

How do you feel about incorporating circumstantial stories like that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802