You make the call!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Scenario from one of the high school games I watched last night - you make the call !

One out and a runner on third base. Batter hits a line drive to the shortstop's right. Field umpire positioned on the edge of the grass behind the shortstop calls and signals that the shortstop made the catch. Shortstop immediately runs to third base and touches third base where the runner is down the base line (did not tag up). Team in the field celebrates the third out, but wait !.. Coach leaves dugout to ask the home plate umpire if a catch by the shortstop was the correct call. Home plate umpire says it’s not a catch and the batter is safe at first and the runner on third headed home scores her run. Following that declaration the fielding team’s coach leaves their dugout and explains the shortstop made a decision to go to third (and not home) based on the field umpire’s out call and signal.

Jun 22, 2008
That is not the field umpires call to make, line drives and fly balls are the plate umpires responsibility. That being said, no umpire can overrule another's call. Needed to be a discussion between the 2 umpires on how to rectify the situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Calls can be changed, but I think the umps have to make everything right, and allowing a run to score because of the umpires wrong call, is not fair. Should be runner on 1st and 3rd still 1 out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Are you saying the SS (caught or didn't catch) looked over her shoulder to see what the call was and then proceeded to tag 3rd base? Did the home ump signal anything during the play? Its a weird play but in the end, no way the runner should score.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802