Yet another recruiting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
What is the best way to handle this situation? DD has interest in a mid major D1 not far from home. She probably is not on their radar. She attended some camps but only got general interest (like cattle call letters inviting her to camps). She really is interested in the school academically. So I’m assuming she would be a tryout/walk on hopeful. She probably could get academic scholarships. How much I don’t know. She is ranked in the top of her class. So, in this case, do you let the coaches know she is applying and ask about walk on opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Well the real question is, does she have her heart on playing college softball and how important is that to her/you (is money a factor?).

If she wants to attend this school just to play softball but they are not interested...I'm not a big fan of just trying to walk on with any real expectations of getting picked up.

If on the other hand she is focused on academics and really likes some program they are offering and 100% will go there whether she plays softball or not, once she gets accepted I would definitely ask the coach about their tryout policy...if the coach doesn't have to put any money on the table and she is on par with hers peers coach might be much more willing to give her a chance.

What year group is she?

Jun 27, 2018
2021. She just likes the school for academic and location reasons.

Jun 27, 2018
There is another D1 that showing interest. A little further from home. Honestly the school on top of her list is a D3. Academic and location reasons.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
What is the best way to handle this situation? DD has interest in a mid major D1 not far from home. She probably is not on their radar. She attended some camps but only got general interest (like cattle call letters inviting her to camps). She really is interested in the school academically. So I’m assuming she would be a tryout/walk on hopeful. She probably could get academic scholarships. How much I don’t know. She is ranked in the top of her class. So, in this case, do you let the coaches know she is applying and ask about walk on opportunity?

2021. She just likes the school for academic and location reasons.

So, she is a year away from applying.
Probably only has a PSAT score at this point (or may have taken it for the 1st time yesterday?)

If the school she is interested in has a pretty high admissions standard,
their recruiting won't likely get very aggressive until a candidate has an SAT/ACT to report.

But as a 2021, planning on being a walk-on is probably a bit pre-mature.
Give it until the end of July 2020. A LOT can happen between now and then.

Jun 27, 2018
Exactly. Took the PSAT last year. Taking the SAT and ACT in December

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A recruit could be considered a "preferred walk on." The coach gives her a spot without any athletic monies. She doesn't sign an official NLI, but will still have a spot on the team with the opportunity to earn athletic monies the following years.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse