Xeno 2018 or 2019?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
My girl is 5'3" (almost 5'4"), weighs around 120 lbs and is 13 1/2 years old. So far we've only played ASA. We only recently started getting into travel ball so I'm not sure what tournaments we're going to be entering in the future.

My daughter tried a friends 2017 32/23 (-9) LXT and seemed to hit the ball just as far as her 2014 Xeno 31/21 (-10) via front toss and tee work. Probably even farther but that's just me eye-balling things as nothing was ever measured. The one negative is that it looked like it slowed down her swing speed though. She seemed to do really good against the slower pitchers but seemed like she was late against faster pitchers and kept striking out. I'm not sure if this was attributed to too big of a jump in bat size? ie going up 1 inch in length and 2 oz in weight? I also thought I read somewhere that the 2017 LXT's were heavier than other years as well? Maybe a newer lighter 32/22 (-10) LXT would fit her better? I would say she can put some good pace on the ball when she hits it, but I definitely wouldn't consider her a power hitter as she's never put one over the fence. Not sure if that is the definition of a power hitter or not ?

Does anyone know how the 2019 LXT versions were? Better/worse than previous years? They're basically in the same price range as 2019 Xeno's and 2018 Ghosts right now.

The unfortunate thing is that I live in a smaller city. The closest place to try out bats would probably be like 3 hour drive. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and make the drive.....

Waterpro, here are my quick thoughts on your situation.

My gut tells me the 32 -9 balanced does not fit her swing. Sounds like the mass of the bigger bat is cancelling out the increased bat speed she had with the 31/21 and the distance is pretty similar. A low drop balanced bat can feel/swing much heavier than an identical 32 -9 that has the weighting more toward the end of the barrel like Xeno or Ghost. Here is the problem with the -9 in games for your dd’s situation: When you have to commit to the swing too early, better and faster pitching will chew you up for various reasons. (Notice I said better pitching before faster.)

I think you have several solid possibilities here: If she hits the ball hard to all fields in front toss/games with the 31 Xeno, that bat still fits her good enough to keep using it. The next set of possibilities is a 32/22 Ghost, Xeno or LXT. The LXT is the different bat in the mix because it is a true balanced bat. The Ghost and Xeno will be the more similar bats of the three above. If you want to move her up a bat size, winter is probably the time to do it depending on how much you play. Hope this helps.

Nov 10, 2016
My DD just made the same jump. I actually just listed her xeno for sale. Her first step was the 18 ghost in the same size and she never picked up the xeno again (until the ghost cracked 2 months later). When we decided to move up, we tried the qpro but she didn't like it so we went to the 2020 Power Carbon in a 32/22. She also has a cfzen insane 32/22 and she will no touch it. She is obsessed with the PC. Yes there was some vibration on mishits but that forced her to improve her mechanics and her hitting is better than ever. I recently came across a great deal on a 33/23 2020 ghost and she has been using that the past few weeks for lessons. This week she left it at home and grabbed the PC. She has also asked for a 33/23 PC for christmas if that tells you anything.

Before anyone makes a comment. Yes, I am a bat a holic and I have a problem. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2015
So interesting twist.

Dicks Sporting Goods had a one day flash sale online where all their closeout bats were an additional 20% off so I got the following in 32/22 (-10).

2018 Ghost
2019 LXT
2019 Xeno

I'm still not sure which one we want, but the flash sale was ending and Dicks has a 60 day return policy (as long as the wrapper is still on) so figured I'd order all three to give us more time to decide. I figured it also gives my daughter a chance to at least dry swing each of them without having a salesman breathing down our neck at the store.

So now decision time.

Apr 28, 2019
So interesting twist.

Dicks Sporting Goods had a one day flash sale online where all their closeout bats were an additional 20% off so I got the following in 32/22 (-10).

2018 Ghost
2019 LXT
2019 Xeno

I'm still not sure which one we want, but the flash sale was ending and Dicks has a 60 day return policy (as long as the wrapper is still on) so figured I'd order all three to give us more time to decide. I figured it also gives my daughter a chance to at least dry swing each of them without having a salesman breathing down our neck at the store.

So now decision time.
All very good bats. I like the way you think. Try them all!!! Let me know what you guys think of the 19 LXT. I have one more bat to buy and I’m pretty sure it will be LXT 2019 or 2020. Demarini Prism is also a remote possibility.

Feb 9, 2015
I thought about the Prism or the 2020 Ghost, but I got the above 3 at such crazy low prices I could basically keep two of the above for the price of the Prism or the 2020 Ghost and still have money left over. Which I still may do ;)

May 14, 2019
No. Cal
Well this thread cost me some money this morning. My DD has been using someones old Demarini CFS-17 in a 31 inch -11 and wanted a new bat for her birthday so we picked up the Xeno 2019. How many swings will this thing need for break in? She plays in her last tournament of the season next weekend.

May 17, 2018
Was the 16 really that good? I couldn’t get past that horrible broken glass sound. We went with Mako & Stealth Retro Speed that year.
My daughter grew out of the 2016 Xeno. We got the new 2018 32/22 pretty cheap. Found a used 2016 32” for $50. She swears the 2016 is SO much better!

May 17, 2018
Well this thread cost me some money this morning. My DD has been using someones old Demarini CFS-17 in a 31 inch -11 and wanted a new bat for her birthday so we picked up the Xeno 2019. How many swings will this thing need for break in? She plays in her last tournament of the season next weekend.
They are hot out of the wrapper but in my opinion get a little hotter with steady swings. I feel like my daughters 2016 was getting hotter and hotter until she grew out of it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812