WWYD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DD (2007) has joined a new team, mostly 2008s, core has been together two years now, just moving to 12u. one other 2007 so far on team, really good P, throws really hard, probably in top 15% of what I have seen in 12u.

coach set up a scrimmage/friendly near our hometown, based on information he has given, and where it will be played, I think this is local 10u AS team for local rec league, so it will be 2008s and 2009s. have not seen them, but my gut tells me it is going to be a big mismatch in our favor. I think HC of the AS team wants to see how this team stacks up. I think our coach just wanted to get a game in to start integrating the new girls into the team.

as the HC of the TB team, what would you do, go a little easy, play it just like regular bracket game, play it like a pool game. BTW, we will only have 9, so playing time for everyone will not be an issue.

Oct 4, 2018
So 2009 girls will play with a 12" ball and pitch from 40' away?

I think you'll thump them too.

May 6, 2015
not certain what makeup is of the team, but I know there will be at least one 2009 girl, not certain if she pitches. it is possible they might ask to play defense with 11 inch balls, pitch from 35, former I can see coach doing, latter not so much. and most of our team is just finished a spring playing 10u as well, but was a true 10u B team, this is a rec AS team we are playing.

that is why the question, go hard early, then maybe ease up, go easy from start (scrimmage, so not certain what mercy rules will be in effect, not even certain what rule set will be played under)?

btw, this is just for curiosity sake, I will say nada to coaches unless asked, some history with some of the coaches/parents of other team, so just going to watch and cheer for all the girls.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
as the HC of the TB team, what would you do, go a little easy, play it just like regular bracket game, play it like a pool game. BTW, we will only have 9, so playing time for everyone will not be an issue.

a) Use my regular starting lineup for the first 2 innings, with my usual starting pitcher.
b) 3rd inning: Move everyone into new positions except SS and CF. New pitcher, new catcher, etc.
c) 4th inning: Move everyone except SS, CF, P and C.
d) 5th inning: Move everyone (including SS, CF,P and C)

Oct 4, 2018
Our 10U travel team had a scrimmage against the 10U All Star team last summer.

They were 2008 birthdays for the most part, we were 2009.

In our little community people would talk if we lost. We cared a tad about that to be honest. But we stuck with what Sluggers says above with the exception that we sat our top P and started the game with our #2. We had the benefit of watching this team play a few times so knew more than you do.

May 6, 2015
I also want to make certain this coach gets an idea how his team stacks up, like I said, our new team was a pretty decent, middle of the road 10u B team.

Nov 18, 2015
Our 10U travel team had a scrimmage against the 10U All Star team last summer.

They were 2008 birthdays for the most part, we were 2009.

In our little community people would talk if we lost. We cared a tad about that to be honest. But we stuck with what Sluggers says above with the exception that we sat our top P and started the game with our #2. We had the benefit of watching this team play a few times so knew more than you do.
We did that twice this past season, except our 10U team lost both times to the AS team. In our "defense", the AS team was all 5th graders except for one 4th grader, where as we had 3 3rd graders, 6 4th graders, and I don't think either of our 2 5th graders made either scrimmage. Even though we're a part of our travel org, we didn't form until last December, and competed in USSSA tournaments at the RAS level.

While I definitely wanted to win, the extra year of playing experience nearly every AS player had on us was evident, and I went in with the expectation that unless we played a near perfect game, we would likely end up in the losing column.

As far as "WWYD" - the scenario given by the OP seems a little odd given the discrepancy in age and talent level - we were essentially two RAS teams playing each other - this is a B-level team vs. a younger RAS - regardless of how "fair" you make the lineup, I don't see what benefit the travel team is getting out it.

If I had put a lineup together - I'd go with P3, maybe P2 to start. You already probably know who P1 is going to be - if you don't, then I'd use the lowest ranked pitcher that you're sure about. If P1 and P2 are even, then either one is going to blow away the 10U's. IMO, this doesn't give the coach any new information to go on from an evaluation standpoint - you can play P1 and have 6K's, or play P2 and have 6Ks.

If coach wants to see how the girls play together, they'll need to compete together. So you (or, in this case, the HC) need to field a team that will allow the 10U's to offer the level of competition needed to help you evaluate the level of talent and chemistry at the start of the season.

Oct 4, 2018
IMO scrimmages/friendlies should be about reps and development. Bat everyone, rotate positions, etc. Winning a scrimmage means literally nothing.

Agreed.

We often add "rules" to help the girls. Such as:

1. No advancing on passed balls, as we want girls to work on base running and tagging up, not on scoring easy runs.
2. After 3 or 4 balls going to a swing until you hit it
3. Girls steal second on first pitch if we want to work on throwing down
4. Bat entire line-up but clear bases after 3 outs

... and even doing all that, our parents still do their best to keep score and declare a winner and a loser.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom