WTH? High School Varsity Letter in MarioKart?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2021
Sheesh. DS would have earned the MarioKart letter for sure.

On the plus side he lettered in two real sports and is playing a club sport in college.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's college gives scholarship for Esports. Why? Because they actual make money. Probably better attendance at these events than most D1 basketball games. They get better treatment than the actual athletes!!!

Interested in joining our varsity esports teams for Overwatch, League of Legends, Rocket League, Smash Bros. Ultimate, or VALORANT? All players a part of our nationally ranked teams are sanctioned as student-athletes for the university and receive: paid scholarship, priority class registration, customized esports jersey & uniform, student-athlete backpack, paid travel & hotel for competitions, and access to the esports practice room on campus.

Apr 1, 2017
Our local high school has e-sports teams. No idea if they give letters for it.

My son played with the ASU e-sports team for a tournament a few weeks ago. I don't remember the game, but it's a new one that isn't available to everyone yet.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Why not?

Also, the people that play esports are ridiculously good and would destroy those that play for fun.

It is the future....
I don't consider video games to be a sport or an activity that takes real skill. Basketball, football, hockey, etc are real sports that take skill. Marching band, dance, drama club are activities that take skill. Button mashing on a video game controller does not qualify for a varsity letter in my opinion, the same way that competitive farting does not qualify for a varsity letter. Varsity letter do not need to be given out for every possible thing a person can do.

This seems more like a way to ensure that everyone gets a trophy type of deal to me. That is the way I see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802