Wristband sign chart

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Nothing's wrong with that.

But wristbands cut down on missed signs and confusion. Wristbands cut down on coaches inadvertently wiping off a sign or accidentally calling something they didn't mean to.

And wristbands allow for dozens of play calls. Signs usually have about 5 max, right?

We're moving from traditional signs to wristbands. I'm old-school so it makes me a bit sad. But it's the right move for us.
I still don't get it.....I guess you have to teach them so they aren't totally confused (and everybody can't be wrong so will join the crowd) if they get to college but it's one of those things that just annoys me about where the game has gone...is this really necessary and then when a different pitcher comes out she brings in her special cards and we swap them out...ugh

Mar 28, 2014
I still don't get it.....I guess you have to teach them so they aren't totally confused (and everybody can't be wrong so will join the crowd) if they get to college but it's one of those things that just annoys me about where the game has gone...is this really necessary and then when a different pitcher comes out she brings in her special cards and we swap them out...ugh
oh no doubt it is totally unnecessary. If you really want to know the truth, it's more about the Dad's wanting to do it than the Dad's needing to do it. Somehow MLB manages just fine without having to yell the freaking numbers but somehow 8u softball can't? Ha ha ha ....

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not a big fan of them, but as long as we never see the picture signs like you see in college football these are OK.

Jul 22, 2015
I wasn't a fan until I used them for one game. Simply easier in every way. NO question that the sign you want is relayed correctly and everyone is on the same page. Signs are fine; used them for many years as a player and coach, but wristbands are easier.

Oct 4, 2018

No, the entire team uses the same card. For the entire day. We won't switch cards so no time lost with any of that.

Like many coaches and parents wiser than me have said in this thread, there are times you pitch inside or outside based on a player's stance and swing. Times you pitch high. Times you use the change-up a lot on a batter.

The girls at 10U can hit their spots. Some here perhaps haven't seen that, but most of us have. They are impressive athletes who take lessons from top professionals and work very hard almost daily on their pitching. If I ask for a low and outside fastball, I get a low and outside fastball 70% of the time. And since my pitchers can hit those spots, I'd be a lousy coach if I didn't take advantage of that. And if they miss when I call for a low and outside fastball, they miss low or miss outside. It's simply bad coaching to not let them pitch to their full potential.

With the armbands, I can call "Green 3" for a low and outside fastball. By saying "Green 3" the pitcher and catcher know where to target, throw, frame and also the infield can better predict where the ball might go.

I'm not sure how I could successfully call for a low and outside fastball with signals. Yes, I could sit on a bucket and tap one finger against my right thigh while facing the catcher who could then also tap their right thigh with one finger. But that's more work and more prone for error. And while these little girls are great athletes, they don't know how to call a game. They need guidance and instruction, and again I'd be a lousy coach if I didn't provide that. And as I said above, after an inning (or game) I talk to them both about what we did and why.

Right now on offense we still use the standard signs from the third base coach. We have the indicator, swiping, tugging the ear, etc. All the age-old standard stuff for take, steal, bunt, etc. Works pretty well. But quite honestly, the armbands are a better system. I didn't like it when I first saw it either, but it's more foolproof.

Like you're coming to realize, the game evolves. Better methods emerge. Better teams use the better methods.

Jun 8, 2016
It was pretty ridiculous, especially for a batter to then look at her wristband to just bunt (or whatever the sign was, I forget). Silly Fullerton Heights All-Stars ; )
DD's team has wrist bands in 10U. The worst part is the pitchers take 20 seconds to figure out what pitch the coach is calling which is strange since they only have a changeup and fastball....yes I get they call location too but the combinations are not that many :rolleyes:

Mar 28, 2014
It was pretty ridiculous, especially for a batter to then look at her wristband to just bunt (or whatever the sign was, I forget). Silly Fullerton Heights All-Stars ; )
And it was all stars at that? Bwahahahahaha.................... Good Lord these dads are out of control.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm not a big fan of them, but as long as we never see the picture signs like you see in college football these are OK.

Hold on now. This might be a good idea.

From now on I'm just going to hold up a picture of a person running when I want them to steal. Let them try to tell me they didn't understand the sign after I do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee