Wristband sign chart

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD's team (now first year 12U) uses them..adds about 15s to every AB as the pitchers try to decipher what pitch to throw (I think they both have 2 pitches..not sure what is so difficult).

Feb 26, 2018
The problem I had with our coach who used them last year when we were on defense, would only call something when the other team had runners at 1st and 3rd. So then all of a sudden you have our coach calling in a play to the fielders when he didn't on any other situation just to try and throw them off. Well duh, now the other team knows something is up so they never ran into the play that was called... SMH

May 17, 2012
We played against a team that did not dedicate enough numbers to the change up. After yelling the numbers for each pitch, we knew all 6 numbers for the change up by the 4th inning. It was funny to hear him yell the pitch then look at us to see if we knew what was going to be thrown.

And did that knowledge affect the outcome of the game?

One thought is that the other team didn't care that you knew the change-up numbers (I know we don't).

May 6, 2015
We use a 3 number system, that is completely random. We have had coaches think they figured it out and yell out what is going to happen. AS some has stated we started with writing them down or using hands to relay in. WAYYY too many times first base would be in line of site, or someone would distract a girl. We switched to being verbal and dont really care what others think as it gets the point to our players. The only time it really gets old is when the other team has the same system and you have two coach in a 3 number yell dual. Or when opposing teams/fans start mimicking numbers mid game. At state this past summer I had a coach verbally yelling out "well now we know 312 is a bunt and it didnt work" and then "hell they cant do 458 either"... Was the worst time for our girls to have an off game.

back to number grid here is an example of my old chart:

View attachment 14837
can you indicate what some of the combos mean?

Mar 7, 2016
can you indicate what some of the combos mean?
before we went to number our old play for delay steal was "wildfire" or hold up a "W" with fingers. It stuck with the new number system so Wildfire below is delayed steal. We have since added and deleted several plays on both sides of the ball, i think this was our first iteration of of the bands. We use the champro 3 pocket have the numbers on outside and this on inside if they need a reminder. Most have memorized what the numbers are after a 60 game season. This was on a first year 12U team

really simple system, girl at bat only listens for first two numbers, girl on base use first two to find third. and it changes with each line. so steal will never be the same. hilarious when somebody yells out "blah blah" is steal... i immediacy call the same number he said on a different line so the girl gets a new play lol

May 6, 2015
I think with Excel you could do a version of the commercial packages.

furthermore, I think you could make it more visual, instead of randomizing the calls in the matrix, randomize the header and footer row on a given day. then where on the grid tells you location, third digit tells type of pitch (FB, CU, DB, etc.). then mid game or next game, first digit is type of pitch, then next two are for location on grid.

could do same for offense, first two tell batter what to do, last digit tells runner, then reverse it next game, or whenever.

then between weekends, rerandomize, and print new cards.

I understnad that frustration of only calling a play with runners on 1st and third, never got the runner on third to bite that I have seen. maybe just have it be standard cut 2 or cut short wheneveer it arises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802