Wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
If you are using wrist action, you are doing it all wrong. The top hand/wrist should be like gripping a bull.
I have never gripped a bull, but I assume you are advocating an extremely firm grip. That goes against what most hitting instructors would advocate.

Jun 8, 2016
Please elaborate. I like the thought of a double pendulum in the swing, and with a rigid wrist (assume that's what you mean by bull grip) you lose the second pendulum.
Whenever somebody mentions a double pendulum with respect to the swing it always kind of makes me laugh since chaos is a pretty good description for hitting instruction sometimes :LOL:

Aug 20, 2020
If you are using wrist action, you are doing it all wrong. The top hand/wrist should be like gripping a bull.

How is a hitter supposed to finish a swing without using the wrist to push the top hand past the bottom hand at some point? Is it even physically possible to keep the wrists locked all the way through a swing? And if it is, I can't imagine such a swing being a good one?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Whenever somebody mentions a double pendulum with respect to the swing it always kind of makes me laugh since chaos is a pretty good description for hitting instruction sometimes :LOL:

sorry if i am misunderstanding. Maybe multi hinge is a better representation? I didn't mean to make it sound like the swing was a double pendulum that whips back and forth and over and around. just that the proximal to distal action creates the whip from center --> out thru the joints to the last wrist 'hinge' creating more whip. Whatever force that is i don't know.

I agree hitting instruction is chaotic, but is the wrist hinge locked to a bull or is it loose and oily?

Jun 8, 2016
sorry if i am misunderstanding. Maybe multi hinge is a better representation? I didn't mean to make it sound like the swing was a double pendulum that whips back and forth and over and around. just that the proximal to distal action creates the whip from center --> out thru the joints to the last wrist 'hinge' creating more whip. Whatever force that is i don't know.

I agree hitting instruction is chaotic, but is the wrist hinge locked to a bull or is it loose and oily?
I am not saying double pendulum is right or wrong but when I hear double pendulum my geeky self thinks chaos 😂

May 12, 2016

Personally I always liked FFS thoughts on keeping the wrists loose and oily

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood