Wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Do any of you teach wrist action in the swing or is that a non teach?
Recently with DD we have tried to emulate that gif of BB when he is hitting against Jennie Finch. Like an Axe swinging/chop motion. I had my DD trying to break a bat swinging on a ball into the ground. She was on her knees and just chopped away. The feeling of the wrists in that action were the important part.

I think i posted this somewhere before. Also i think that FFS talked about 'loose and oily' wrists. That's the feel imo. When incorporating this action, while testing exit velo, her unscientific exit velo went from 65-67 on average to 73-75 ish. Another quote from Five Frame was what my daughter felt at that point 'effortless power vs powerless effort'. It is a thing we focus on and the way you make sure that you are doing it is the resulting release of the barrel, the whip and the extension. If you are holding firm and not releasing, your swing will look spinny and come around your body.

We pair this motion with the full BB drill chopping to the plate, to the mound, to second base, liners to outfield and eventually bombs. This whole process has really opened her eyes (and mine) to the feels and reals that are happening. Whether it works or not we shall see. This is not to discount all the other things of correct posture, leverage, limiting drag, engaging core, etc etc. Just the one piece of the swing that then fits into all that.

Oct 2, 2017
Recently with DD we have tried to emulate that gif of BB when he is hitting against Jennie Finch. Like an Axe swinging/chop motion. I had my DD trying to break a bat swinging on a ball into the ground. She was on her knees and just chopped away. The feeling of the wrists in that action were the important part.

I think i posted this somewhere before. Also i think that FFS talked about 'loose and oily' wrists. That's the feel imo. When incorporating this action, while testing exit velo, her unscientific exit velo went from 65-67 on average to 73-75 ish. Another quote from Five Frame was what my daughter felt at that point 'effortless power vs powerless effort'. It is a thing we focus on and the way you make sure that you are doing it is the resulting release of the barrel, the whip and the extension. If you are holding firm and not releasing, your swing will look spinny and come around your body.

We pair this motion with the full BB drill chopping to the plate, to the mound, to second base, liners to outfield and eventually bombs. This whole process has really opened her eyes (and mine) to the feels and reals that are happening. Whether it works or not we shall see. This is not to discount all the other things of correct posture, leverage, limiting drag, engaging core, etc etc. Just the one piece of the swing that then fits into all that.
Is it more like a wrist action as if you took a hammer used your wrist to release the head into a nail. You don't hammer with a locked wrist.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Is it more like a wrist action as if you took a hammer used your wrist to release the head into a nail. You don't hammer with a locked wrist.
hammer ... axe..... ok. i normally dont hammer with two hands unless with BFH = sledgehammer. Just tried to answer the question in what my thoughts were. no worries. carry on.

Oct 2, 2017
hammer ... axe..... ok. i normally dont hammer with two hands unless with BFH = sledgehammer. Just tried to answer the question in what my thoughts were. no worries. carry on.
I wasn't meaningit like that. Just getting it straight in my head LOL Hammer, axe whatever LOL

Oct 26, 2019
I use the cue “throw the bat head at the ball” sometimes which will usually result in the wrists uncocking and the barrel being “released”. Possibly one of those “feel vs real” things, but it had helped some kids who drag and use too much shoulders.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Lot of talk of proper action wrist in golf. Wrist action is tied to a proper grip. The lead arm wrist should have hammering action.
Sometimes I will see hitters swing with what I refer to as high speed wobble. Their bad grip (cupped wrist) causes them to roll over early.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Lot of talk of proper action wrist in golf. Wrist action is tied to a proper grip. The lead arm wrist should have hammering action.
Sometimes I will see hitters swing with what I refer to as high speed wobble. Their bad grip (cupped wrist) causes them to roll over early.
Golf swing seems to need full extension at contact vs after contact for bb/sb swing. maybe i am wrong. That's why i think having a golf swinger on the same side may be bad for the fastpitch swing. Different release points maybe. my golf game sucks, so probably im the wrong person to comment on it!haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22