Wrist Snaps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
Daaaannnnggg! You dug up an OLD thread!

Can you provide any video? I think I am agreeing to an extent but isolating the elbow doesnt sound right to me. To me, the whole arm is IRing in sequence. Upper arm, down to the lower arm.
The old threads are full of treasures (y). I only posted this as a thought to avoid isolation particulary of the forearm and wrist. Many posts both old and new can lead the casual observer or new mom or dad down the road of forearm only IR. Not the intention I know but can be taken that way. Not a horrible thing but leaving power on the table IMO.

There is an old post talking about upper arm versus lower arm IR and I will try to dig it up. The discussion was some pitchers appear to use more of one versus the other.

I agree it is the whole arm, body, sequence but the elbow seems to bring the whole arm together. I hate to use the word isolate but by "isolating" the elbow it causes you to use the whole arm if that makes sense.....🤔

Nov 8, 2018
Bill - good point about the overhand throw is already loosing up the wrist and elbow.

One thing I do like about the isolated wrist snap is that the pitcher can feel the ball roll off of her fingers and can see the rotation in a very controlled drill. I don't know if it helps or not and my DD only spends about 10 - 15 flip reps on it and then she moves on to more full movement drills, but she has always done it that way. Maybe a wasted 2 - 3 minutes, but doesn't seem to create any harm?

I think what Bill is saying is it can b done in a way to effect both the wrist and the elbow so the whole kinetic chain (wrist , elbow, fingers etc) gets involved.
We do Mike Muelesens lock it in drills that isolate the the movement to focus on the elbow, wrist , finger complex. I will also have dd do all her spins here as well so she can FEEL the ball roll off the fingers correctly. Then progress. 9 o’clock and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee