Wrist Snap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I feel your pain, Ken. Nothing like working with a kid and get her going good only to be undone by some PC insisting on wrist snaps, HE finish and slam the door.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Bump... Really like the discussion in this thread. Also really like these shots:

WristSnap.JPG

Whip (IR) at it's best!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For a different perspective:

The whole idea of IR pitching made 100% sense to me when I first came to DFP because I came into softball from a cricket background where there are three categories of bowler (pitcher) - fast (up to 100mph), medium(swing 75-90mph) and spin (45-60mph).

Spin bowling come in two basic types - 'finger' spinners and 'wrist' spinners....
However before the wrist snap people get excited, the names are totally misleading to the actual bowling action and more refer to the release point of bowling action:

The name wrist spin is actually something of a misnomer, as the wrist is not a vital part of the mechanism for producing the characteristic spin on the ball. A wrist spin delivery is released with the arm held in a fully pronated position, with the fingers on the inside of the ball (to the left for a right-handed bowler). If this pronated position is maintained through the release, the fingers will naturally cut down the side of the ball and produce an anti-clockwise spin."
So 'wrist spinners' are really arm pronation spinners.

The name finger spin is actually something of a misnomer, as the finger action is not a vital part of the mechanism for producing the characteristic spin on the ball. A finger spin delivery is released with the arm held in a fully supinated position, with the fingers on the outside of the ball (to the right for a right-handed bowler). If this supinated position is maintained through the release, the fingers will naturally cut down the side of the ball and produce a clockwise spin.

Cricket is huge overseas so a LOT of studies have been done on the bowling action. The wrist is literally the end of the whip and just as in softball has nothing to do with the actual speed or spin except for having the stability to maximize the end of the arm whip as the ball comes out of the hand. The wrist itself doesn't really impart any real spin (the position of the hand and how it comes off the ball does that) but it is important on being able to maintain the right position as the whip comes through.

The original finger and wrist spin names came from what is kind of looks like at release - not how it actually is. Slow motion video use stopped all the stupid finger and wrist exercises in cricket years and years ago as they focused on how the best bowlers got results.

The below is slow motion 500fps video for Shane Warne - probably the best ever 'wrist' spinner in the world. You can see the extreme pronation in the arm and while the wrist is cocked initially, you will see that it is to extend the length of the whip motion and is more of a continual straightening through the motion to release.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279