Wrist Snap! Young Cat!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She's not wearing a facemask either..... shake up and discuss!!!!!! lol

Bill
My DD said that she knew where the ball would go before the batter hit the ball, so she didn't need a mask. She had plenty of time to duck if she needed to.

Is that what you found?

Jun 8, 2016
My DD said that she knew where the ball would go before the batter hit the ball, so she didn't need a mask. She had plenty of time to duck if she needed to.

Is that what you found?
I am not surprised about this. Even at SS as I got older (HS and above I think) I distinctly remember being able to tell (most of the time) if the ball was going to be in my direction and often times whether it was going to be my left, right or somewhat at me.

Edit: for the mask mafia out there, I am in no way saying pitchers shouldn't wear masks. Just confirming that what sluggers said is possible.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008

Is that what you found?

I don't know if that's the case anymore. We live in an era of BANNED BATS... the bats are so technologically advanced they've had to be banned. And the balls too... core, compression, etc. It's insane that 80 lbs slappers can hit it over the fence. Bat companies blame the ball, ball companies blame the bats. In my career, I'd been hit almost everywhere, and that was before these composite bats. It's easy to think there's plenty of time but you're 40 feet away (if not closer) when you release and the ball is jumping off the bat like a golfball these days.

The reality is, pitchers spend 99% of their time on pitching and 1% on learning to field and preparing to field. Shots to the face would be reduced drastically if this wasn't the case. But nobody is going to spend money in a pitching lesson to talk about fielding, that's just reality.

Sluggers, if your DD knew where the ball was going to be hit every time as she said, please ask what the Powerball numbers will be for me. Cause that's magic. I can play percentages: outside pitches hit away, inside pitches turned on, etc. But, there's a lot of unpredictability in that too.

I'm still waiting to hear why snapping her wrist is supposed to shake things up. Does the OP think people do not believe the wrist snaps? Of course it does. The question is, in what sequence does it snap and does it follow the whip of the elbow? Isolation of the wrist snap is stupid, snapping the wrist is actually very good and part of the kinetic chain.

Bill

Jun 8, 2016
Sluggers, if your DD knew where the ball was going to be hit every time as she said, please ask what the Powerball numbers will be for me. Cause that's magic. I can play percentages: outside pitches hit away, inside pitches turned on, etc. But, there's a lot of unpredictability in that too.

Bill
She was probably using the actual swing the hitter was taking to do this and not just the pitch location/speed alone.

Aug 21, 2008
She was probably using the actual swing the hitter was taking to do this and not just the pitch location/speed alone.

I know. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't appear in word form or in texts. As I said before, all a pitcher can do is hit their spot and play the percentages. And when they miss the spot, pray to the Almighty when that line drive comes screaming back up the middle!!!

Jun 6, 2018
yeah in today's age of bats I would definitely not let my daughter take the mound without one. Having taken a shot to her right eye/temple area once already with a mask on and getting up and finishing the inning is priceless. Plus having seen the article on a high school pitcher requiring multiple surgeries and hours at a time procedures to reconstruct her face after more than 65 fractures from getting a line drive directly at her cheek area I think any pitcher that doesn't wear a mask should thank god after every pitch.

I mean it is an uncommon occurrence but when it only takes 1 shot and your life is altered forever why take the chance.

Aug 1, 2019

Is that what you found?
Paige Lowary felt pretty confident too, until she wasn't. Glad your daughter had such great Jedi vision and nothing like that happened to her. In today's world with the bats that are out there now, that would be just stupidity. Again and I preface, in todays world. Not back then so don't take it personal. Girls just can't think they are better than they are and nothing will happen to them.

Aug 1, 2019

I want in on this action as well. Send Powerball numbers please!

I'm still waiting to hear why snapping her wrist is supposed to shake things up. Does the OP think people do not believe the wrist snaps? Of course it does. The question is, in what sequence does it snap and does it follow the whip of the elbow? Isolation of the wrist snap is stupid, snapping the wrist is actually very good and part of the kinetic chain.

Bill

Bill, thank you for the post and the purpose was to say exactly what you said. Yes, many people who I have sent to this site over the years read or interpret things incorrectly. I did initially as well. Wrist snaps are bad is the takeaway or the interpretation versus isolated wrist snaps are worthless. Bottom line is what causes it which you state above. It is the sequence, IR, brush, snap, etc. etc.

Definately shouldn't have said shake up or whatever it was I said. Won't edit the post as it raised some good conversation even though stated poorly which I admit. Thanks for the reply on this Bill!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22