wrist pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
my oldes daughter has been complaining of some wrist pain mainly when she bends it all the way down or moves it up... any ideas i know not alot of info but thats about all i know cant remember doing anything that agravated it but it has been flairing up for a couple weeks kinda like tendenditise or something

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Is she a pitcher? Trying to force the wrist snap can do that. Has she been hitting tires or basketballs to strengthen her swing? That can do it too.

Maybe it just got pinned under her in an awkward position while she was sleeping. Not usually something that happens to a teenager (more a problem for us older folks) but it can happen.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD had that in her glove wrist. But, she had a ganglian cyst, from taking a couple of line drives off of her wrist. If it is a cyst, you can sometimes see it.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
HB. Good posibility it is a slight inflammation of the tendons that run through the wrist. Very common thing and not usually a big deal, however, dont push them. You ice joints as an injury therapy. If it gets to the point you have to ice, it is an injury. May be very slight but that is the bodies first alert to you that you are injured. Push it any farther and the next thing will be some swelling OR you are going to tear something and have a more serious injury.

Simply put, shie is not in shape for however much she threw recently to cause this. This sounds like one of those 'Early in the season" kind of strains. Give it a few days to mend and rest. Then work on strengthening evrything and BE SURE TO DO THE PROPER STRETCHING EXERCISES BEFORE TRYING TO PITCH. If ya dont, expect to be really sore, a slight strain, or prepare to be injured.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
Ty for your insight all of you. but she has been pitching the same all winter around 150 pitche 2 to 3 times per week and works out with light weights on those days. I am with her at every practice and workouts so i know she didnt do anything then. we do not do any kinda wrist snaps or release drills. i am thinking she strained it some how other than pitching but not sure how. hopefully it will heal soon and everything will be fine.. if it continues much longer i will have it checked out.

May 11, 2009
HB - How'd she get through her pain?? I know this is an old post but thought I would see how she is doing.

There is a, not real well known, issue with wrists of baseball and softball players. It is a tear in the UT Ligament that cannot be seen on an MRI. It is not a tear as normally seen, it is a length wise tear that opens the ligament like a book so it appears normal on an MRI.

I am no doctor but my DD is 14 and has been immobilized for 8 weeks now and was told it will be at least another 6 weeks. MRI is normal, Carpal Tunnel test is on Monday, but if that is found to be normal she will need to be scoped to see if they can see a UT tear. The Mayo Clinic has Doctor Berger and he is who found this injury and has good testing measures to figure it out.

I am not trying to scare you because that is probably not it but I want you to know it is out there.

Good luck I hope it is just a little tendonitis and she pops right out of it.

MK

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
HB, since this thread popped up again; does she pitch with the arm straight and elbow locked?

Has she just started back pitching after a winter layoff and break?

Nov 4, 2013
Using the <a href="http://www.medicalequipment-msl.com/htm/new-medical-instruments/wrist-ultrasound.html">wrist ultrasound</a>
scanner might help you a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478