Wrist Flips for the Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Its just the grip period? no wrist or forearm is used to create spin?

Yes, The fingers are the end contact point of the pitch and very important component in creating spin. But the shoulder, wrist, and elbow are all key players in the kinetic chain that creates enough whip action to make more spin. I think the whole point of the post is to practice pitching using the entire arm to maximize spin and speed. By compartmentalizing different motions of the arm like doing wrist snaps, you're having a counter productive effect affect on the development of the young pitchers kinetic chain. Also this can cause over use a small muscle and cause tightening of the arm and lead to injuries. By the way, if people practice wrist snaps, why not practice finger snaps, elbow snaps, should snaps or even ginger snaps:).

I know mentioned earlier, but check out Hillhouse's "The Pitches video" or some of his other material, and he goes into depth about the flaws of doing singular motions like wrist snaps.

Apr 25, 2010
Its just the grip period? no wrist or forearm is used to create spin?

My DD only had 1 PC her entire career (Hillhouse). Her wrist and forearm are in the same position for every pitch she throws. Her spin is a matter of grip and finger placement and pressure. The only one that might be different is the change up, simply because she flips her wrist up and over, simultaneously, to keep the ball low.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
My DD only had 1 PC her entire career (Hillhouse). Her wrist and forearm are in the same position for every pitch she throws. Her spin is a matter of grip and finger placement and pressure. The only one that might be different is the change up, simply because she flips her wrist up and over, simultaneously, to keep the ball low.

You two are saying different things crystlemc? i really believe that scholar is correct that it takes more than grip, but includes grip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478