Wrist Flexion and Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Here is another post about a bent wrist and the OP stated a 5-7 mph increase in speed with a bent wrist. It sounds like he started the bent wrist at wind up and all the way through.

My guess is prior to this his DD was releasing with "extension" and then when he tried the bent wrist she found flexion. Again, just a guess...

A 7 mph increase by simply cupping the wrist at the beginning of the pitch?

Some girls are gonna be throwing 75mph after they hear this.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Apologies—I haven’t read much of the content of this thread yet, but wanted to point out that Sarah is warming up her curve in this series. The curve is the only pitch where maintaining flexion is important for maximum revs, but not necessarily for flat rotation.
I had wondered if she wasn't working the curve on this one initially so good point. But to keep the discussion going, which was the whole point to this thread, what are your thoughts on flexion versus extension for velocity?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Apologies—I haven’t read much of the content of this thread yet, but wanted to point out that Sarah is warming up her curve in this series. The curve is the only pitch where maintaining flexion is important for maximum revs, but not necessarily for flat rotation.
Ken, I am curious, how do you account for the fact that numerous pitchers throw bullet spin fastballs? Ueno, Finch, Scarborough, Pauley are all throwing bullet spin in videos that you can find online. I have always thought that bullet was less efficient.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken, I am curious, how do you account for the fact that numerous pitchers throw bullet spin fastballs? I have always thought that bullet was less efficient.

I think @BoardMember or @javasource would do better answering this, but here’s my take on it. I think that the spiral or semi spiral spins result from the fingers coming off the ball at the fastest point of the whip, where four key things are firing in quick sequence:

-The forearm is accelerating as a result of receiving power from the upper arm,
-The hand is rapidly pronating,
-The wrist is hinging and
-The fingertip receives all of the energy from the previous segments and is moving at its fastest speed. (Much like the tip of a bullwhip.)

Many will say that their fastest pitches are their curve or rise. When you watch their spin, it’s actually pretty much spiral.

I think that learning a curve helps pitchers feel whip better, which translates to speed increase in their fastball.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I had wondered if she wasn't working the curve on this one initially so good point. But to keep the discussion going, which was the whole point to this thread, what are your thoughts on flexion versus extension for velocity?

Slight flexion creates added lag, which is stored energy. As the ball comes into release, the wrist extends from centrifugal energy.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sorry, I just read some of the original post and I think I understand the question, but please let me know if I missed it. Flexion (wrist snap) as the result of IR/whip, is different from the flexion used by Garcia earlier in the circle.

I think the feel of a flexed wrist for the first half of the circle helps create lag/elbow flexion, which is critical for whip.

Starting the circle with a flexed wrist can also benefit some with their rise and curve.

I don’t consider it an absolute, but rather a tool/cue to try, then use if it helps.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020
My dd is stuck on 7-1 spin full pitching. She's been trying to get to 9-3 spin. So if more wrist flexion is needed to get to 9-3 spin, the 9-3 spin pitch should have a higher velocity?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My dd is stuck on 7-1 spin full pitching. She's been trying to get to 9-3 spin. So if more wrist flexion is needed to get to 9-3 spin, the 9-3 spin pitch should have a higher velocity?
I'm not sure what you're looking for. 7-1 spin is almost pure top spin. 9-3 is pure curve ball spin, not what you typically see in a fastball. You need maximum flexion for 9-3, unless it's a rollover curve.

Jan 17, 2020
Say you put a screw into the ball. The screw would be pointing directly back at you with bullet spin. It would move 90 degrees to the side when throwing a drop ball. More wrist flexion through release would be needed to go from bullet to drop assuming equal ir palm up with both pitches. More wrist flexion equals higher velocity - drop ball should be faster? She's having hard time getting more wrist flexion to throw a drop ball when I'm telling her to always stay loose and whippy. Maybe not getting there bc she's not staying loose and whippy?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28