wrist band wearing on belt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
with the prevalence of these 'slow the game down' wrist bands, I keep seeing players wearing these on their belts.

I was always under the impression that this was illegal since it is equipment not being wore as intended.

1) assuming this is illega,l does anyone have the exact rule?

2) and if not illegal, then i was wrong.

Dec 11, 2010
Oh, I bet there is a rule.

Its almost as important as the one about not wearing jewelry.

DD played last weekend at a PGF qualifier after messing around with local USSSA last fall. It is so refreshing to not notice the umpires. Our local bozos insert themselves into every game, they would wear a flashing sign that says “Desperate For Attention” if they could.

Jun 22, 2008
I know NFHS has ruled that the wrist band must be worn on the wrist and I would assume USSSA has ruled the same since they follow most of the NFHS rulings. USA I dont think has said a word about it but I could be wrong.

Jun 22, 2008
Oh, I bet there is a rule.

Its almost as important as the one about not wearing jewelry.

DD played last weekend at a PGF qualifier after messing around with local USSSA last fall. It is so refreshing to not notice the umpires. Our local bozos insert themselves into every game, they would wear a flashing sign that says “Desperate For Attention” if they could.

So umpires are bozos because they enforce a rule that is in the rule book?????

Dec 11, 2010
So umpires are bozos because they enforce a rule that is in the rule book?????
No- that wasn’t what I meant at all. Didn’t mean the jewelry thing.

What I meant was when I watch softball at better tournaments with better umpires there comes a point in the weekend when I notice that I “haven’t noticed“ the umpires at all. That’s a good thing.

Locally it seems like the umps insert themselves into the game and try to become the center of attention. The jewelry thing is an “opportunity” to stop play, wave their arms, yell to the coach that there is a player wearing jewelry, warn the player, warn the coach, chastise the parents, send an email to the tournament director and create a press release. I think it’s because the same umps are dealing with the same coaches players and parents every weekend and they are all holding grudges, settling scores and get away with saying things like “you know I don‘t like that rule“, “I call strikes where the batter is not at the plate“, “I won’t call strikes above the belly button“, etc etc.

I will say that I am glad that in the summer at the bigger tournaments they allow these kids to show a little personality. These players spend all summer traveling all over and it’s a really small way that they can have some control over their lives, control over their appearance, maybe feel unique/prettier or something. Not sure how to explain it but I know it is important to the players and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t hurt anything. Talking about 16’s and up where issues like that become more important.

Again, talking about kids who are spending every weekend of the summer 4 plus hours from home missing all the stuff that teenagers do with their friends.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I prefer them to be incompetent and not know the rules. WTF?

I guarantee the better umps are quite aware of the jewelry rule. If they can correctly call a first and third play that exploits LBR, they know that there is a rule that prohibits jewelry. They know it isn’t important and they don’t give a crap. Because it isn’t important.

Speaking of enforcing rules on the books- Next time you are on the interstate, do you think you should get a ticket for:

76 mph in a 70 mph zone

Following to close- do you ever follow at a distance that violates the three second rule? Following too closely is one of five main reasons for personal injury crashes in most states. Did you know that while you are driving, it takes the average healthy, sober adult approximately a second and a half to percieve a problem and physically react to it? 70 mph is 102.6 feet per second so if you are abiding by the three second rule at 70 mph your safe following distance should be more than 300 feet (307.8’). It’s a rule for safety. Are you against safety? Those same players that might be killed or maimed by wearing a necklace might be in that vehicle.

Should you get a ticket for briefly driving over the white line on the interstate? After all, crossing the white line is the first act of driving off the road and hitting a road worker, another vehicle or a tree.

Having a registration plate bracket that partially obstructs a unique character of the license plate

Not using a turn signal when exiting a private drive

Not carrying your registration card in a pickup truck

Not having adequate splash guards (mud flaps) on a vehicle of the second division (pickup truck). They have to be the width of the tire tread and extend 2” below the centerline of the rear axle.

Failing to change your home address with DMV

Having white light showing at the rear of your vehicle.

Having a yellow light affixed to your vehicle whether lit or not while not engaged in an activity related to repairing or maintaining the roadway.

In this state a combination of red and blue emergency lights cannot be used by volunteer firemen, (only blue), or tow trucks. Every time a trooper sees one, usually from a bordering state, whether it is activated or not, he should stop the vehicle, cite the driver, call the fire department, direct them to cut the light bar off with a Sawzall, issue the driver an evidence receipt for the lightbar and hold it for evidence.

It is illegal to put your vehicle in neutral and coast down a hill.

Driving a school bus with the top stobe activated when not weather is not inclement.

Driving without headlamps and tail lights with windshield wipers are activated.

I can come up with more after my second cup of coffee if you want.

(Don’t freak out people, these are laws in one state, probably not your state. Thank god that troopers are the only ones that know some of this stuff and are smart enough to realize that every violation by itself ISN‘T IMPORTANT and there is a time and a place for all rules and regulations.)

Yes, cops WOULD BE JUSTIFIED to cite for all the stuff above in my state including doing the Sawzall thing. Just because you CAN do it doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.

Thats wtf. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
I was always under the impression that this was illegal since it is equipment not being wore as intended.
I bought one and sold it to my daughter from Craigslist advertising it as a "belt band."

My daughter is wearing the equipment as intended. (No I didn't do this)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45