Would you want your daughter playing for this coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Has anyone else ever noticed that certain orgs have certain type of coaches. Like the apple didn't fall to far from the tree. For the love of God, I cannot figure out why parents would allow their DDs to be publicly berated, embarrassed and cursed at by grown men. I love to beat these teams but almost feel sorry for the players because their post-game meetings are even worse.

Oct 14, 2019
Has anyone else ever noticed that certain orgs have certain type of coaches. Like the apple didn't fall to far from the tree. For the love of God, I cannot figure out why parents would allow their DDs to be publicly berated, embarrassed and cursed at by grown men. I love to beat these teams but almost feel sorry for the players because their post-game meetings are even worse.
Like the “Take off those uniforms, you don’t deserve to wear them” speech?

May 17, 2012
These coaches exist due to parents seeking them out and enabling them. A lot of crap is tolerated if the team is winning.

May 11, 2014
While not personally seeing this in softball(do know of one coach that acts this way and they do win). I wonder if the team/parents act disrespectful towards the umps, other team, or just the game in general as that seems to be my experience from baseball.

Nov 13, 2020
Cussing directly to a kid on the team - nope. We left a 10u team because of this. At work, if I mess up, I have never been cussed at. Why do grown adults think that this is an acceptable way to motivate and correct kids?!? So what if the coach has a winning team, when that kid grows up and stops playing softball, we don’t want her to think it’s ok to verbally abuse others and her own kids to motivate and we don’t want her to be with a partner/spouse who verbally berates her too. People forget the big picture. We all continue the cycle because that was what made ‘championship teams’. So what if my kid isn’t on the 10u state championship softball team - my kids self esteem is still intact, she’s not afraid to make errors in fear of being berated, and we stood by her to let her know that it isn’t acceptable to be spoken to that way. By all means, we aren’t perfect and my kid drives me nuts and we have had to walk away from her many times before we lost our cool and I don’t mind if the coach raises his/her voice to her or yells at her to get her to pay attention, focus, etc but I don’t think it’s ok to be told ‘you’re a f’ up’ or name calling.

Nov 2, 2021
"There's zero chance I'd subsidize that behavior. I don't care how good of a coach he is, my daughter's there to learn lessons about life as much as softball. Whether she knows it or not."

"Great coaches don't need to swear. Most don't even raise their voice. They communicate with dignity and respect. Parents, demand more out of your coaches."

Two great comments.

I truly believe in the ability of sport to teach important aspects of life; graciousness in victory, dignity in defeat, teamwork and the sacrifice required for success. While a coach is not a parent, they are a mentor. It is our job as parents to surround our children in an environment where their physical and emotional development is the true metric, not wins versus losses.

May 17, 2012
I truly believe in the ability of sport to teach important aspects of life; graciousness in victory, dignity in defeat, teamwork and the sacrifice required for success. While a coach is not a parent, they are a mentor. It is our job as parents to surround our children in an environment where their physical and emotional development is the true metric, not wins versus losses.

Or sports could just be a form of entertainment and you don't need some jackass cursing at you while you do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom