Would you expect this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2019
The rulebook is always right, the umps are either knowledgeable, or Sunday leaguers. And if the question is should that pitch be called illegal, its obvious that it should every single time.

May 9, 2019
Definitely illegal, but definitely common in young pitchers.

I'd think the umps wouldn't call it as it would affect the flow of the game.

Personally I wouldn't call it since in reality, it's only hurting the pitcher's performance.

Feb 25, 2018
Wish the rule would be changed to just let travel, high school and college females leap already. One foot dragging is archaic.
Plus, International rules allow it and men can leap, so . . .

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Agree with most of the points above. I didn't have to even watch the video to know it was illegal. Just look at the opening frame before you push play. That is a classic replanter position. Period.

That said, it will most likely only get called enough to be slightly annoying. Can go game after game with no call only to get it called out of the blue.

I would fix it now. Any smart opposing coach will keep their mouth shut until a championship round or an important game. Then they will be pointing it out to the umps before the game starts and all game long.

Fix it now and save the headache down the road.

Good luck!

S3

Sep 29, 2014
Wish the rule would be changed to just let travel, high school and college females leap already. One foot dragging is archaic.
^^^^ Pretty much this if you aren't going to enforce it just move on and accept the international standard.

but to the OP...NO this is rarely if ever getting called. Part of the reason is because umpires don't have slo-mo zoomed in video they have to call it on the spot from where they are at, especially if she mixes in a few pitches where she does drag her foot. In real time to me it looks like a little skip but was hard to tell and if you aren't sure as an ump you shouldn't be making the call.

and the secondary push issue is irrelevant; there is a point where she if a few inches off the ground and that is a leap period end of story its illegal.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This would actually be 'change it back'...
'revert back' to how it used to be 30'ish years ago and crow hop & replant was allowed.
When that rule changed to what it is now, and Pitchers had to adjust to not doing it...
It was telling that by doing it pitchers gained ground with it and many had benefit from it.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sorry China but I have to disagree with you on this one. Play it in slow motion and you can clearly see that the lead foot is not down, there is a secondary push off and therefore an illegal pitch. I do agree that it won't be called.
It’s so subtle you need slow motion. UMPs don’t have that, so it’s not getting called.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802