Would you dare try to teach this move? skip to the 2 minute mark.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
This is a timely post - Right now the HLP’ers on Twitter are at war with the decel/scissor guys. It’s pretty entertaining.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
View attachment 27116
That was a great video.

DD has similar back foot mechanics. Intentionally developed with a lot of scissor drills and also driving the back foot through at contact off of the tee over past 2 years. As she changed teams to a franchised org last fall, a few well intentioned coaches pointed out this “flaw”. Fortunately, none have pushed the issue and tried to force adjustments.
She better stay hot or those well intended coach might not be able to bite their tongue. It is a little different looking to say the least. When I watch the video it looks like she is going to pull the ball and then slams on the hip brakes (scissor move) and drives it up the middle. Seem more like a timing mechanism. Does she do it on all swings? Does she ever pull the ball? If the coaches ever ask her to change, show them to the Edgar Martinez and Altuve videos. Those guys are/were pretty successful.

Aug 3, 2019
She better stay hot or those well intended coach might not be able to bite their tongue. It is a little different looking to say the least. When I watch the video it looks like she is going to pull the ball and then slams on the hip brakes (scissor move) and drives it up the middle. Seem more like a timing mechanism. Does she do it on all swings? Does she ever pull the ball? If the coaches ever ask her to change, show them to the Edgar Martinez and Altuve videos. Those guys are/were pretty successful.
TY!

Yes it pretty much happens on all swings at this point. I just checked for the fall season and balls in play were roughly 40% to the pull side.

You are spot on— Fortunately it’s not super noticeably unorthodox at full speed and so it only draws attention in tough times.

I guess that’s probably the norm across-the-board. When someone is struggling, the most unusual part of their mechanics naturally become a focus, probably rightfully so a lot of the time.

Nov 26, 2020
My DD does it and pulls almost everything. She got away from it for a while and now she's doing it again. We have done some drills to reinforce it. I'll find a recent game video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22