Would you dare try to teach this move? skip to the 2 minute mark.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I wouldn't teach it until I could explain the "why". "Altuve and Cabrerra do it" are good arguments for, but why does it work for them? Does it CONTRIBUTE to their swings?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I wouldn't teach it until I could explain the "why". "Altuve and Cabrerra do it" are good arguments for, but why does it work for them? Does it CONTRIBUTE to their swings
I think it is kind of a timing mechanism. They do it more on outside pitches. so I think when they start their launch early and land early on outside pitches, they kind throw out their foot and stop hips from continuing to rotate, thus catapulting the upper shoulder/arm chassis around their spine. Just great athletes doing whatever it takes to barrel up the ball.
Warning: Do not try this move at full speed. Even at half speed, I felt my back go tweak.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Just great athletes doing whatever it takes to barrel up the ball.

This seems right to me.

I think this is one of those things you probably don't teach. I suspect you'll see some of this on all good swings where you take an outside pitch the opposite way.

This is above my pay grade, but I think you probably want to focus on other aspects of hitting the outside pitch, and this little move with the back leg could occur naturally. Just speculating on that, but I think if you try to teach this, you're gonna really make a mess of a lot of swings.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
He stayed through the zone because of square contact and not breaking the wrists.
He is right about the square contact.

This went into the 3 deck, unfortunately this was were the clip started and then they followed the ball flight. Always wished I had the entire swing.

giphy.gif

Jul 19, 2021

Swingbuilder taught this move to my daughter. He called it the scissors. Had several drills to emaphasize the move. Gives you leverage against your hips for your arms and hands. Her average and power both went up tremendously after she started using the move. Watch Alvarez on his infamous World Series HR. He does it. Can't say enough good things about it. Everyone should do it but they succumb to the rotational hitting mantra. He would say "Resist the hips".

The hips are going to turn anyway. You can't help it. But when you try to resist, you create leverage.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 092100.jpg

Aug 3, 2019
99764792-CC49-4948-856F-D060A9064610.gif
That was a great video.

DD has similar back foot mechanics. Intentionally developed with a lot of scissor drills and also driving the back foot through at contact off of the tee over past 2 years. As she changed teams to a franchised org last fall, a few well intentioned coaches pointed out this “flaw”. Fortunately, none have pushed the issue and tried to force adjustments.

Jul 19, 2021
As she changed teams to a franchised org last fall, a few well intentioned coaches pointed out this “flaw”. Fortunately, none have pushed the issue and tried to force adjustments.
Thank goodness. Nothing like a supposed "good coach" that will take a successful hitter and make them a bad hitter. Been there done that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802