Worst Non Softball Sport for Softball Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
I was unaware of this information. I know a lot of women's golf scholarship money goes "unclaimed. " I assumed bowling did too and it is likely much cheaper than golf to become good at.

And, YES, it is very surprising they don't have a softball program. Softball is a "money" sport now. They are in the SEC, in Nashville, it would be no issue getting players. Look how fast Duke and Clemson have become the nouveau riche of softball. Vandy could do it if they gave AF.
What's really strange is that Nashville has three DI softball programs, and Vanderbilt isn't one of them. Who would ever guess that? 🤭 So in that regard, you got to give it up to Belmont, Lipscomb, and Tennessee State for representing Nashville.

I agree that Vanderbilt would be able to successfully recruit and be competitive from day one. You would think that they would want to build a program and compete with their SEC rivals, but for some reason, they won't. It's a shame...another strong SEC team would only help the sport overall.

Apr 26, 2019
What's really strange is that Nashville has three DI softball programs, and Vanderbilt isn't one of them. Who would ever guess that? 🤭 So in that regard, you got to give it up to Belmont, Lipscomb, and Tennessee State for representing Nashville.

I agree that Vanderbilt would be able to successfully recruit and be competitive from day one. You would think that they would want to build a program and compete with their SEC rivals, but for some reason, they won't. It's a shame...another strong SEC team would only help the sport overall.
I'm aware of 1/3 of Nashville 's D1 softball programs. DD's pitching coach pitched at Lipscomb. #Lippy

Here sister currently pitches for a D1 school in MD. Not bad, two D1 pitchers in a family.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Golf.... quick way to screw up a swing....
I'll disagree on this because of all the major league baseball players who golf on an off day, golf during the off-season, host and participate in golf tournaments as charitable events, and move to Florida for no state income tax, great weather, and tons of golf courses.

Feb 20, 2020
Lacrosse is tough because it uses a lot of risk action, and a lot of contact. Rugby is kind of popular around here and it can cause some knee issues.

Jul 12, 2017
MI
My DW played softball and golf in college (DIII). She quit softball after freshman year because she did not get along with the coach. She ended up in our college's Athletic Hall of Fame as the first 2-time all conference women's golfer. Golf did not mess up her softball swing. She was one of the leading hitters and full time DH.

Dec 11, 2010
There was actually a really good show on the SEC Network a few months back where they talked about Vanderbilt's women's bowling program. Vandy needed another women's program to be Title IX compliant, so they stood up women's bowling, of all things. People mocked the decision at first, but then the team delivered Vandy's first DI championship (of any sport) in school history. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the only reason they stood up women's bowling was because it was the quickest and cheapest way to start a sport. I always found it odd that Vandy is a baseball powerhouse yet doesn't have a softball program, especially being in the SEC.
I saw that show- it was really good!

Jul 5, 2016
If either of my daughters had wanted to play 3 sports, I would have supported them. I think what is important is 1) properly conditioning and 2) avoiding overuse. Unless your child is onboard with your own dreams, trying to manage the sports they play in hopes of them being a superstar in one of them is a mistake.

I have noticed that many of the players I see on t.v. are super driven and play multiple sports and also do well in school

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
Golf.

For injuries, I'd definitely say basketball. We have losts 3 girls in my kids school softball playing career to ACLs. One was softball related. Other two were basketball. All 3 were non-contact injuries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802