Worst Non Softball Sport for Softball Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
DD's former college teammate decided she wanted to tryout for the college basketball team and most likely could have earned a roster spot. During the tryout she tore her meniscus (2nd time) and was out of the beginning of the softball season that year.
Stop! Don't say that!!

Jun 8, 2016
If it makes anybody feel better I quit basketball in HS to concentrate on baseball (among other reasons) and then tore my ACL playing in a pickup baseball game when I would have been at basketball practice..sometimes sh*% happens :LOL:

Nov 29, 2009
What would be the worst non softball sport (in school or out) for softball players? From a point of over use and general health

That's esy. Basketball. I've seen many softball players lose a softball season and more from a torn ACL suffered playing basketball.

May 29, 2019
I kind of think soccer would be the best sport to play. Mind you I don't like it at all (except when it's world cup time). But I'd say out of all the athletes, soccer players have to be in the best shape. Two 45 minute periods when they are always in motion, running, jogging, walking....
And to think about it, if you look at female sports, softball probably has the highest percent of out of shape players in any of the female sports.
While this may not be what people on a softball forum want to see, this is 10,000% correct.

I have a love/hate attitude toward soccer. I feel that it is the best "cross-training" sport there is. However, the number of knee injuries and concussions at high-level soccer are scary. DD played soccer up through her freshman year in H.S. but ultimately decided to quit due to her travel softball schedule conflicting with soccer. Her overall "athleticism"; in particular, explosiveness, sprint speed, and agility all gradually fell off a slight bit when she went left soccer. I would put soccer above going to group training sessions for athleticism. I wish she could have made soccer work through HS.

May 6, 2015
For female knee injuries any sport that requires cutting and cutting while training. Gym floor sports because the shoes are so sticky and there's no give. Artificial turf is terrible on knees. Females are most vulnerable to knee injuries during their period. Research has show time and time again that ligaments loose rigidity during that time

Also, you're more likely to get injured during practice because the majority of coaches are stupid and don't understand this.

Wow, is there anything available on the web in support of this? not doubting per se, but if I try to tell either/both my DDs this, will get hit with a wave of skepticism/criticism (gotta love teenagers), but if there is data, it would be good to know (like maybe get them a sleeve or brace for those times).

Jun 19, 2016
I have seen a girl miss a lot of softball because she broke her leg doing the triple jump. I they injuries can happen in any sport.

May 23, 2015
Wow, is there anything available on the web in support of this? not doubting per se, but if I try to tell either/both my DDs this, will get hit with a wave of skepticism/criticism (gotta love teenagers), but if there is data, it would be good to know (like maybe get them a sleeve or brace for those times).
I've worked with athletes, doctors,, and trainers for a very long time, decades. Its always been common knowledge, but often overlooked and shrugged off. I'm not sure a brace or sleeve would help. Maybe it would???

I'm sure the internet has plenty of data. I prefer to go to the source and assume they know what they're talking about

May 6, 2015
I've worked with athletes, doctors,, and trainers for a very long time, decades. Its always been common knowledge, but often overlooked and shrugged off. I'm not sure a brace or sleeve would help. Maybe it would???

I'm sure the internet has plenty of data. I prefer to go to the source and assume they know what they're talking about
yeah, i found an abstract from the NIH on this, pretty authoritative enough for me. I just though a sleeve or brace provides extra stabilization, so if you know you are susceptible to an ACL (for whatever reason), might make sense.

Nov 18, 2015
One of our top 3 hitters (12U) plays golf regularly (including tournaments). Based on a sample size of 1, I think more girls should golf. However, based on the same sample size, I do not recommend golf as a way to improve their pitching. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101