Wonderful advice for TB Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here is how I see it. Some players are “prospects” and some players are “suspects” to certain coaches. When a “prospect” makes a mistake it is always spun positive - yea he struck out 3 times today but look at his raw potential! Oppositely, when a “suspect” does something well it is always with a grain of salt - yea he went 2 for 3 today, but can he do it against good pitching.

I’m not sure what makes players turn into one or the other with specific coaches, but once you are a “suspect” that coaches mind is made up and it’s time to move on IMO. I had a really good day at the plate in an inter squad game and the coach at the school I left said “not a bad day hitting - for a pitcher”. At that point, I knew I would never really get a chance to prove I could hit. I was a “suspect”.
Think there is something to this.
Hadnt heard that verbage prospect to suspect befor.
Make sense!

I use starter or project.

This topic is good to know coaches mindset when picking up a players at tryouts.
Or even recruitment.
How does coach see players role on the team.

Feb 3, 2016
The players that are projects are fairly easily identifiable. Higher tier teams won't have many of these types of players, if any. To many unknowns with projects. 2nd tier teams will take and try to develop but can be Hit or Miss.

I'm positive my daughter was originally a suspect on her current team. Variety of reasons behind a coaches perception of any player and abilities. Time and elevated competition sort things out. No shortcuts here as you can't cheat the game it eventually reveals all.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think coaches sometimes get the 2 confused. Prospects are big, strong and fast and have a "high ceiling". But many times these prospects have not been gifted or acquired the eye -hand coordination needed to play ball. Or they do not have a positive mental approach and the ability to visualize, be confident, relax, ect. But they are big, strong and fast so coaches keep batting them in the 4 hole hoping she hits the ball like that one time she hit that bomb 3 months ago. And when the coach finally puts her on the bench the parents get mad and leave the team. No problem because the next coach will take her because she is big, strong and fast and has a high ceiling.

Dec 11, 2010
I think coaches sometimes get the 2 confused. Prospects are big, strong and fast and have a "high ceiling". But many times these prospects have not been gifted or acquired the eye -hand coordination needed to play ball. Or they do not have a positive mental approach and the ability to visualize, be confident, relax, ect. But they are big, strong and fast so coaches keep batting them in the 4 hole hoping she hits the ball like that one time she hit that bomb 3 months ago. And when the coach finally puts her on the bench the parents get mad and leave the team. No problem because the next coach will take her because she is big, strong and fast and has a high ceiling.
Big 10 teams in the Midwest seem to be made up of California and Texas kids that fit this mold. The University of Illinois and the University of Iowa have so much local talent that slips through their fingers or goes unnoticed who live within four hours of campus.

The University of Illinois should be competitive in every sport they field. They should be recruiting in state first and not giving up athletes to other states. Not just talking about softball but I’m talking about softball, lol.

Apr 28, 2014
You know a thing or two cause you've see a thing or two.
Nailed it!!!!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Big 10 teams in the Midwest seem to be made up of California and Texas kids that fit this mold. The University of Illinois and the University of Iowa have so much local talent that slips through their fingers or goes unnoticed who live within four hours of campus.

The University of Illinois should be competitive in every sport they field. They should be recruiting in state first and not giving up athletes to other states. Not just talking about softball but I’m talking about softball, lol.
Does $ play a role in extra $ paid by out of state students?

Apr 28, 2014
In PA one D1 institution which is very good at basketball, for years refused to recruit PA softball players. The coach at the time preferred to bring in kids from other states who were not at the level of local talent but she had a point of view that she didn't want parents of local kids around the program. I was shocked when I heard that but saw after a few seasons that it was true. The program was a perennial .500 team which could have been more. Coach moved on and now the roster is getting filled with local kids who are legit.

Dec 11, 2010

Of course! Money plays a role in everything!

It is as expensive for an Illinois resident to attend as it is to go out of state and pay out of state tuition. Illinois is one of many state schools with constant money problems. They have very little flexibility in offering money.

The two best pitchers to come out of the state recently went to Michigan and Stanford. The best hitter went to Alabama this year.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
In PA one D1 institution which is very good at basketball, for years refused to recruit PA softball players. The coach at the time preferred to bring in kids from other states who were not at the level of local talent but she had a point of view that she didn't want parents of local kids around the program. I was shocked when I heard that but saw after a few seasons that it was true. The program was a perennial .500 team which could have been more. Coach moved on and now the roster is getting filled with local kids who are legit.

Nova?

Seems like someone who’s concerned about dealing with parents probably isn’t ready to coach in college.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478