Wonderful advice for TB Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
The inability of smaller softball markets to run larger rosters with capable talent will always insure they'll rarely have enough firepower to consistently compete at the highest levels.

Top small market players however will routinely get picked up by large markets, and those organizations out of state with oversized rosters. They refuse or won't do this for whatever reason closer to home.
Reasons? The lists go on... Parent, ego, past history, the coach, org., playing positions.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The inability of smaller softball markets to run larger rosters with capable talent will always insure they'll rarely have enough firepower to consistently compete at the highest levels.

Top small market players however will routinely get picked up by large markets, and those organizations out of state with oversized rosters. They refuse or won't do this for whatever reason closer to home.
Reasons? The lists go on... Parent, ego, past history, the coach, org., playing positions.
Heck, we have plenty of high powered local organizations in the Houston area, yet players will get on teams out of state. Makes no sense to me.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Heck, we have plenty of high powered local organizations in the Houston area, yet players will get on teams out of state. Makes no sense to me.
Does that happen because people burn social bridges?
Reputation proceeds them?
They develop to many local enemies?

Jul 27, 2015
From the NFCA Convention

TB Coach asks Heather Tarr: What is one thing Travel Ball coaches can do to help you.

Heather Tarr's response: Carry bigger rosters and teach your girls how to compete for playing time.

I practice this. I preach this. I love this. Let's help her out.

I know most of this has been discussed. I just don't agree with the statement on the whole. It is just too broad to be applied across the board.

Is this for all age groups? It can't be.
All skill levels? No way.

It seems the coach is talking about college bound players in the 16u-18u age groups who are on a team of other college bound players.

Yet I saw this quote posted on the local FB softball board. Regular coaches, who might have 3 girls who will play in college, are agreeing with this and supporting it. Those coaches don't need to be following this idea. They can't manage a team of 12 players. No way can they manage 18-20. If Suzy is playing for fun, she does not need to be on the bench playing 4 innings a weekend.

My daughter would not be where she is today if she played on a team of 18-20 girls at 14u.

I have seen rosters of 14 handled well with people switching in a out on a regular basis. It was a showcase team and everyone of those girls who wants to play in college will play in college. I have also seen a roster of 14 handled poorly for pitchers and catchers.

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
This was my journey. I spent my first 3 semesters at a school fighting for playing time. I was pitching only (and not very much) and really missing playing the field and hitting. I had 2 fellow freshman above me on the depth chart. I made the decision to transfer to another college. It was cheaper, closer to home, and more prestigious academically. I started as a pitcher and a 3rd baseman and played in 2 NCAA regionals, including earning a win in the conference championship game.

I suppose I could have stayed and fought for playing time at the first school, but I wouldn’t change it for a minute. My only regret is I didn’t do it sooner.
I would say that you couldn't have made a better decision. Better school, closer to home, for less money, and you got to play instead of watch. No one could ever argue with a straight face that you should have stuck it out and hoped for playing time down the road at your first school.

Oct 26, 2019
I would say that you couldn't have made a better decision. Better school, closer to home, for less money, and you got to play instead of watch. No one could ever argue with a straight face that you should have stuck it out and hoped for playing time down the road at your first school.
Here is how I see it. Some players are “prospects” and some players are “suspects” to certain coaches. When a “prospect” makes a mistake it is always spun positive - yea he struck out 3 times today but look at his raw potential! Oppositely, when a “suspect” does something well it is always with a grain of salt - yea he went 2 for 3 today, but can he do it against good pitching.

I’m not sure what makes players turn into one or the other with specific coaches, but once you are a “suspect” that coaches mind is made up and it’s time to move on IMO. I had a really good day at the plate in an inter squad game and the coach at the school I left said “not a bad day hitting - for a pitcher”. At that point, I knew I would never really get a chance to prove I could hit. I was a “suspect”.

Apr 28, 2014
Here is how I see it. Some players are “prospects” and some players are “suspects” to certain coaches. When a “prospect” makes a mistake it is always spun positive - yea he struck out 3 times today but look at his raw potential! Oppositely, when a “suspect” does something well it is always with a grain of salt - yea he went 2 for 3 today, but can he do it against good pitching.

I’m not sure what makes players turn into one or the other with specific coaches, but once you are a “suspect” that coaches mind is made up and it’s time to move on IMO. I had a really good day at the plate in an inter squad game and the coach at the school I left said “not a bad day hitting - for a pitcher”. At that point, I knew I would never really get a chance to prove I could hit. I was a “suspect”.

This is a great post!!
Can't agree more and I've seen it. DD has been both during her TB career. I also agree that if a coach doesn't believe in a kid then it is time to move on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812