Will others follow Texas lead on summer play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
I would like to see Indiana follow this format. I think it makes more sense and would make the summer more affordable. Maybe even give more players access to the game.

Do you think access to the summer game is money driven?

I could see larger states banding together similar to Texas, if you can get the clubs to work together.

Personally, I think with changes in recruiting rules, ever increasing costs, stay to play, whatever new normal comes out of this Covid-19, etc, etc we are going to see softball begin to evolve when it comes to college exposures and summer ball in general.

Sep 12, 2019
My DD's team will be playing in the TFL League, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Softball is a business, at least in Texas, so money is definitely a driver. I think the main concern and what hasn't been explained yet, is how the teams get to play and stay safe at the same time. I don't think having 10-15 girls in a dugout is feasible any longer.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There will have to be 50 leagues and more fields built to do that in calif.
There will be a couple.
But for the most part
Far too many teams.
Will need to be smart tournament style
facilitating if anything.
Crowd control at best.

Also doesnt do much for players who want to showcase.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Also doesnt do much for players who want to showcase.
This confused me. The TFL is meant to be something in addition to regular showcases. They are going to use some showcase pool games as league games so the two are actually intertwined, not in opposition to one another and it's definitely not meant to be an alternative to showcases. The TFL isn't meant to replace showcases at all. It is meant to compliment them. It does nothing more than provide more opportunities for the girls to play meaningful games.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This confused me. The TFL is meant to be something in addition to regular showcases. They are going to use some showcase pool games as league games so the two are actually intertwined, not in opposition to one another and it's definitely not meant to be an alternative to showcases. The TFL isn't meant to replace showcases at all. It is meant to compliment them. It does nothing more than provide more opportunities for the girls to play meaningful games.
The games are supposed to be competitive games instead of the typical showcase games. We all love boring showcase games right? They are supposed to stream them live and record stats for the college coaches that cannot travel. Best of both worlds right?

The games are supposed to be competitive games instead of the typical showcase games. We all love boring showcase games right? They are supposed to stream them live and record stats for the college coaches that cannot travel. Best of both worlds right?

Many college coaches had rather see the full 7-inning games or at least the end of them. Many pitchers are studs when they go 3 to 5 innings but get them to the bottom of the 6th or 7th in a tight game? It is hard to work that 7-inning game into showcase event where you have hundreds of teams + guaranteed a certain number of games.

Personally, I like the idea of streaming games and recording the stats. The only issue you have is the quality of the streaming and the issues that come with it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In addition sounds good.
Pardon me, was speaking to league play thinking that would be all.

Top Tier invite only events/ friendlies hosted here in Calif. are great competition.
Would be boring if it wasnt a selected group.
Same with other levels.
Other than that showcases with
Mixture of teams + Mixture of talent
= Mixture of entertainment value

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Many college coaches had rather see the full 7-inning games or at least the end of them. Many pitchers are studs when they go 3 to 5 innings but get them to the bottom of the 6th or 7th in a tight game?
Do they? I wouldn't think college coaches care too much about how many strong innings a 15/16 year old can throw. Obviously things are going to be different when she is 18/19 and in a college S&C program. That's part of the development process that all coaches should be anticipating.
Plus how many college pitchers actually go 7 innings? Not too many anymore.

Mar 28, 2014
In addition sounds good.
Pardon me, was speaking to league play thinking that would be all.
they wlll play weekday league games and also use some Friday night Showcase pool games to complete the "league" schedule. The goal is to get every team 8 games but some teams may not get a full 8 because of logistics. The big thing is the end of season WCWS Formatted tournament in Dallas that will have coaches attending. The league play results are used to seed the end of season tournament

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812