Wild pitch versus passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know WP & PB are not "errors" but they are viewed similarly... a mistake that allowed runners to advance, so...

If I ask the pitcher to bounce their change, and I ask my catcher to catch a pitch in the dirt, and my pitcher successfully accomplishes her task and my catcher does not, then I'm not giving the "error" to my pitcher.

Whether players do what you ask is irrelevant though.

If you tell your runner to steal a base and she's thrown out, she still gets a caught stealing even though she only ran because you told her to.

Tsk tsk name-calling. Mind your temper "Coach."

It does appear that in addition to not understanding much about the sport, the definition of "name-calling" is needs to be explained, too. "Internet troll" describes behavior, and it's an apt description in this case.

Oh, if you're interested in learning how quotation marks work, I'm happy to give you an education on that, too. Just let me know.

Jul 27, 2015
It if bounces it's a WP. It's like a throw from in IF to first. Now that doesn't mean I don't blame the C for not blocking of think the 1B should scoop the throw but it still on the thrower.
My daughter is a pitcher, and I agree with this.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There can be the expectation a catcher or defensive player should be able to control pitches/throws in the dirt.

There are many opinion based observations that go into the books and umpiring for that matter.

The athlete themselves, if not making an excuse, knows the correct answer.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Whether players do what you ask is irrelevant though.

If you tell your runner to steal a base and she's thrown out, she still gets a caught stealing even though she only ran because you told her to.

Agreed- so I wouldn't say she made an error.

Let me ask you this. If every time you called a change up it bounced & ended up getting by the catcher to the back stop and runners were circling the bases like a carousel, who would you replace the pitcher or the catcher?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Let me ask you this. If every time you called a change up it bounced & ended up getting by the catcher to the back stop and runners were circling the bases like a carousel, who would you replace the pitcher or the catcher?
Where is it bouncing ?
What kind of bounce ?
Thats the conundrum.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
You say you expect your 1B to make tough plays which make it by definition not an error on her.

So is a waist high one hop throw a tough play? Compare it to an ankle high throw that doesn't bounce. How about a short throw that's sinking, or a high throw that's sailing. If they hit you in the pocket you should make a play.

Maybe I'm not being super clear, I don't feel that a ball that bounces can't be an error on 1B just because it bounced. We'd never use that standard on any other infielder. We have zero problem charging an error on a SS on a ball that rolls or bounces. That's why I like the with normal effort part of the description from some rule sets.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If a first baseman picks 95 out of 100 in the dirt, doesn’t that prove that the 5 she missed were extraordinary in some way and those 5 belong to the thrower. Heck she helped her teamates avoid 95 other errors.

Same as a catcher. Just because she saved her pitcher from dozens of wild pitches in the dirt, doesn’t mean she should own the one she couldn’t contain. Again, doesn’t her previous success tell you that the one that got away was in some way more difficult?

Nov 18, 2013

Replace whoever’s calling the changeup. 😊

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
There are opinions and there are facts.
Opinion: You shouldn’t swing at a 3-0 pitch.
Fact: A pitch in the dirt that allows a base runner to advance is a wild pitch.

Purposely throwing a pitch in the dirt is a strategic move that comes with the risk of a wild pitch.

A pitch that hits the dirt can go anywhere. A good catcher will block most and keep the runners from advancing. But balls can hit the edge or corner of the plate and make a hard left or right. They can hit uneven areas of the batters box and act unpredictability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802