Wild pitch versus passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
So is a waist high one hop throw a tough play? Compare it to an ankle high throw that doesn't bounce. How about a short throw that's sinking, or a high throw that's sailing. If they hit you in the pocket you should make a play.

Maybe I'm not being super clear, I don't feel that a ball that bounces can't be an error on 1B just because it bounced. We'd never use that standard on any other infielder. We have zero problem charging an error on a SS on a ball that rolls or bounces. That's why I like the with normal effort part of the description from some rule sets.
A ball that bounces at my DD at 1B requires extra effort and if it is not picked I may be pissed at my daughter for not making that play but as scorekeeper the error goes to the thrower all day long. Ordinary effort for any person catching a ball at the base is standing up and catching a chest high ball. Anything else becomes more and more difficult. If my DD (at 1st) throws to 3rd and puts it in the dirt where 3B can’t field it then the error is on my DD. The error is always on the thrower in those situations no matter if you think the fielder should make the play or not. A good 1B limits those errors for her teammates and is appropriately cheered on by her teammates when she does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28