Why only slap hit or bunt from left side?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I understand batting/slapping from the left side puts you closer to first base - although I question this as a true advantage since the left sided batter needs to pivot to run while the right sided batter is already facing first base. To me if a hitter can slap hit/bunt from the right side she's putting the defense in an even more difficult situation since they won't know if she's hitting/slapping or bunting.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
Great question. One I have pondered myself. In fact, I taught all of my players to hit, bunt, and slap from both sides of the plate. Keep the D guessing. I would guess that those wiser then me, the majority, will give a decent reason not to. But, I sure haven't seen a downside, as long as they don't run into the pitch!!

Ed

May 12, 2008
If you are going to move to the left side, and you are not world class fast, you need to be able to both drive the ball and play the short game. Left sider is closer and can start sooner than the rh hitter. If you are going to fool with the left side, move there, STAY THERE and learn to do it all from there. Any rh at bat you take is that much slower to learn the left side. Stay right and work hard or move left and work even harder.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with Mark H. Stay on one side. Took the dd to a hitting coach and at 12 we moved her to the left and she has stayed there. Best move we have made. If you have speed switch them early and then work your way up to hitting for power from the left, along with bunting and slapping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802