Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

why only grounders?

Jun 25, 2008
4
0
My 13dd seems to be in sort of a hitting slump lately. 75% of the time she hits the ball, they are dinky grounders. sometimes they make it through the infield, but more times than not, they don't. the other 25% of the time she hits the ball, it is a pop up in the infield. Not sure if both "problems" are caused by the same thing or not. But we need help. I can post video if needed?
 
Aug 4, 2008
2,364
0
Lexington,Ohio
Check back elbow first. If the elbow gets in front of the hands. Pop Ups. If the back elbow gets behind the hand, ground balls. We call this stacked or strong in the back side. A good way to test this is hitting with the back hand only. If she is not hitting line drives, that kind of tells you the problem.
 
Feb 9, 2009
392
0
I read a great drill for this, tried it with my own dd, and it helped her...
Set up a Tee with a pile of balls beside it, facing a fence. With duct tape, tape three lines on the fence: one low to the ground, one at eye level, the last up high. Now have her hit the balls only to each area. It will teach her that coming down on the ball=grounders, swinging level= line drives, swinging up=pop flys. Hopefully, with enough repetitions, she will get a good feel for her swing...
 
Jul 21, 2008
415
0
Sound like a swing plane issue...I would bet her swing has a downward path or the A to C swing. The Fly ball would come on a higher pitch in the zone and they would have back spin on them.

Another good drill for this would be to set up 2 tees one that you are hitting off of and then the other about 3 feet in front of the one you are hitting off of, you can change the distance the better you get. Set them at the same height with a ball on each tee. Try to hit your ball and knock the other ball off the tee. It's harder than it sounds.
 
Aug 4, 2008
2,364
0
Lexington,Ohio
Good Drill coachdan. Only thing we do different is front T is 3 inches higher than back.
First we hit thru the first ball. Then we hit over the front ball .
 
May 22, 2008
351
0
NW Pennsylvania
I have experienced a lot of my girls rolling their wrists at contact ( not staying palm up, palm down) & beating the ball into the dirt. The rare popup comes when they hit the bottom of the ball.
 
May 12, 2008
2,217
0
Rick,

You are getting some good thoughts here but until you post a clip it's really just guessing.
 
Aug 4, 2008
2,364
0
Lexington,Ohio
JC heir. I get many kids that I work with that slap the back which tells you they roll the wrists. Thewhiphit beats them up, and they get instant feedback, if they do not stay palm up and palm down to extension.
 
May 22, 2008
351
0
NW Pennsylvania
SB, I am not understanding how a backslapper equates to rolling wrists over??? In my mind they should be palm up, palm down @ contact, but they can only hold that position for so long, & eventually, they all have to break their wrists over during followthrough??? I guess what I am asking is - doesent even a good swing roll over, but just not till after contact. Thanks
 
Aug 4, 2008
2,364
0
Lexington,Ohio
JC Heir yes, but watch and Elite player they do not slap the back they extend the bat out and then around allowing the wrists to roll not forcing them to roll.. What you find a true back slapper they roll the wrists early and swing around the body.. We use the whiphit to show them they are rolling the wrists. This tool will hit them very hard in the back/head if they roll the wrists early.
The True back slappers and ones that finish below the shoulders. Have them point the bat at the pitcher for extension and not to roll the wrist at all…short to the ball and long through it.

Look to see if they finish over their shoulder or against it…we teach them to understand not to roll their wrists during contact and to think to the ball and through the ball to extension. Hope that helps.
 

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
34,329
Messages
499,271
Members
15,803
Latest member
cjpheph
Top