Why is this hitter hitting in the low 200’s?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Keep in mind that you can't really judge a player's swing with one video. The video here is an inside fastball. Look at the reaction of the catcher's mitt. That pitch was really inside.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm sure he was a great performer at some lower level to be able to get to the majors, but in that one example, I see a lunging swing and collapsing back leg. He looks like he's about to topple over.

As mentioned above, mechanics only do so much. Seeing the ball, timing, hand-eye coordination, and a good mental approach are all just as important. I know a very athletic kid with a picture-perfect swing who DD has been outperforming for years with her effective but less pretty swing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
He is late on an inside FB. And instead of pulling his hands in like Mike Trout does he releases his hands and is unable to get the barrel on the ball. The great hitters can make adjustments. He is not a great hitter.

May 12, 2016
It's impossible to tell just by looking at one swing.. need a larger sample size.

For example should we judge this hitters swing on the hit & run play? LOLOL.. Solid throw by the catcher as well..:). Guess the hitter got the job done at the end of the day.

gif (15).gif

@Cannonball sums it up nicely..

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Thoughts or reason for this hitter hitting in the low .200’s.

giphy-0.00.02.10.jpg

He strides too far with the front leg. He goes so far that his front leg is too straight (should be very bent) and his hips are far from level.

The straightening of the front leg (after toe touch) provides extra power and rotation.

He can send me $$$ via Venmo if he wants.

May 23, 2015
There's an old saying. Its hard to MLB and harder to stay there.

There's a mountain of reasons that a player would struggle

Aug 12, 2016
My daughter played with a couple girls in the past that had great swing mechanics. Could flat out crush it during coached pitched BP. But faced with live pitching and it was all K's. Some batters just can't hit no matter how good their swing is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802