Why is the deciding WCWS championship game at 3pm???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Can't wait to hear this justification from the NCAA. You would think ESPN would want the game available to broadcast at 7pm like the other games.

You have a great game that rates well and you decide to play it when people will find it hard to watch it. Especially the more casual fan who only watches the tournament. It makes zero sense.

Same goes for the FSU game they decided should be played starting at midnight and finished after 3am. I am sure there were a lot of people in Florida who wanted to watch that game but couldn't.
Maybe the first thing to do would be to check on the original schedule that was agreed upon by NCAA and ESPN and see if that final game was scheduled for 3:00 or moved there at ESPN's option. Knowing that answer would help assign blame. I grew up listening to the World Series on a transistor radio while I was at school during the day, with no ability to tape the game or watch a replay later on TV, so I don't get too worked up by a game starting in the afternoon. They can't broadcast everything in primetime. I'm sure that if it was in primetime on ESPN2 or ESPNU someone would complain that it wasn't on their top channel. I hear the same thing about other sports, and those sports get quite a bit less air time than softball got this year.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
People get upset when they are not first in the emergency room also...

Mar 10, 2020
Can't wait to hear this justification from the NCAA. You would think ESPN would want the game available to broadcast at 7pm like the other games.

You have a great game that rates well and you decide to play it when people will find it hard to watch it. Especially the more casual fan who only watches the tournament. It makes zero sense.

Same goes for the FSU game they decided should be played starting at midnight and finished after 3am. I am sure there were a lot of people in Florida who wanted to watch that game but couldn't.
You getting annoyed by this is a tell.

Nov 18, 2015
They aren't, of course, but you have to admit it's much easier to OU or OSU fans to just show up for games than for an influx of fans from Los Angeles or Tallahassee to make the travel arrangements on a day's notice.

Don't mean to diminish the accomplishment because OU was clearly the best team in the country, and I'm very glad they beat FSU. But I think you're being disingenuous if you're trying to say that always having the national championship tournament in one of Oklahoma's major metropolitan areas is not an advantage to the Sooners and the Cowboys.
To bolster your argument, there was a point in a later round game (AL-FSU?), late inning, and the they flashed a "crowd shot" that showed a nearly empty upper deck and lots of empty seats in the main level as well. So as was mentioned - the big crowds were probably either locals, or from early in the tournament where other teams fans were likely still in the stadium. The crowd noise was still there for AL-FSU, but I imagine the remaining AL-FSU fans I saw were 50-75% "friends and family".

Jul 31, 2015
You know, it’s a great venue and a great experience, but OU and OSU really do have a significant home field advantage there. Last night I think it carried them to that late win, and today FSU was shot.

it is what it is, and good for Gasso for building it, but especially for those later games when the other fans have left town, it isn’t exactly an even playing field.

Umpires are a problem too.

Jul 31, 2015
Guess I missed the part where it says tickets are for Ou and Osu fans only.

No offense but OKC is not exactly a major metropolitan area.

Heck, there’s not even a direct flight there from any NorCal airport. And SFO is a hub for United.

So, yeah, getting in and out is a problem for non-locals. Which means local teams have a big advantage.

And then add in a Wednesday at 3pm start time…

I would imagine Omaha would have the same issues if Nebraska was like a Vandy or USC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom