Why do you Umpire?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Why do you umpire games?

• Money LOL

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • To stay connected to the game

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • To help the kids

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • To support your organization

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You love softball

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Apr 28, 2014
Wondering why you do it? Can't be for the fortune and fame :)
DD is a senior and a few teams have asked me to help coach next year. Not sure why lol. But I do want to stay around the game so I am considering the ump route. I know its hard work and little pay but wanted your insights.

TIA

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Wondering why you do it? Can't be for the fortune and fame :)
DD is a senior and a few teams have asked me to help coach next year. Not sure why lol. But I do want to stay around the game so I am considering the ump route. I know its hard work and little pay but wanted your insights.

TIA

Umpiring or officiating any sport is one of the most satisfying things you may ever do in your life. To be a part of a contest and insure there is a fair and equal playing field so to speak.
Yes, the first year or 2 will be tough, but once you get past that, there is nothing better. The camaraderie with fellow officials is great. You will meet mentors and other officials that could or may change your whole out look on life. LOL
There are so many positives that come from officiating, that you will never know, until you do is successfulply.

Umpire; Noun

: a person who solves problems you do not know you have in ways you cannot understand.

: a person who is always right.

: a person who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Synonyms

: wizard, magician, superhero, badass, super skilled ninja

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Umpire; Noun

: a person who solves problems you do not know you have in ways you cannot understand.

: a person who is always right.

: a person who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Synonyms

: wizard, magician, superhero, badass, super skilled ninja
Don't forget; fashionista perfectly dressed for any outdoor weather condition. :)🥵🥶

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I umped slow pitch for a year when I was in college. What a bunch of whiners. It's a little confusing when the 2nd baseman bit**ing at you about a close call is your boss who happens to be playing in the game. All I learned is that umpiring was not for me. It bothers me if I get something wrong and it affects someone else; like I let them down.

Oct 16, 2019
I umpired many years Federation baseball in WV, and I absolutely loved being a part of the game. Developed great friendships with many coaches built on respect. Had to quit because of a change in jobs and now my daughters are playing softball, and I would rather watch them play than coach or call games, but umpiring was very enjoyable.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Got into reffing hockey at a relatively late age; love it! Will be getting into umping softball as well. Just a way to give back to the sports that have given me a lot.

Hockey ref...work your s$$ off during a game; really only exercise discretion on "tough" calls a few times per game.

Softball ump...def not as much cardio, but mentally you are exercising discretion on nearly every pitch. Can't wait to try!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478