Why College Softball is Different….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Honestly with the teams I’ve been affiliated with (both HS or travel) it’s only been 1-2 parents who were the ones who would only cheer for their kid, or make comments or email the coaches regarding playing time. However, they were also the ones that stuck out like sore thumbs as their DD’s were also cancers on the teams.

Jul 31, 2015
Maybe it's just me, but a few jabs/sharp comments here and there against other players, done in private and done to boost a players' morale doesn't seem like a big deal.

We all grapple with placing ourselves in the context/hierarchy of our surroundings, in life and in sports. When someone similar to you moves up or moves down the perceived hierarchy then perceptions need to adjust. Talking down that person's accomplishments is a way to soften the blow to one's ego by making the hierarchical move not seem as big as it is. (Becoming part of the permanent record book is a big move.)

Private, disparaging comments made in the car to a console a crying player wouldn't bother me, and I'm sure they'd be a source of fuel for my DD. She would love to overhear that.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I root and cheer for all of my DDs teammates because I want the team to succeed. Do I want my daughter to be the best performer? Naturally, I do. But, if she's not performing and someone else's daughter is performing, I tell my daughter that she needs to pick up her performance rather than try to drag someone else's kid down. That's just silly and petty.

Feb 7, 2014
I think in college, so many parents root for everyone on the team since there are other factors at play. For example, You might only get to see your dd play a few times in a season and so, when the parent is there, they are just happy to see their dd play. Also, so many teams have roommates of 2,3 or 4 players and so, the parents get involved with everyone in the apartment or "house." Also, most parents see the bigger goals of gaining an education.
👆This !

Getting to see my kid play in college (especially considering the last couple of years) is worth every ounce of effort... all the miles, time, and money.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Another reason College Softball is different. Team over the individual. I have noticed that DD's coach does an awesome job of using his entire roster. Pinch hitting, pinch running, etc. Other school's coaches do the same as well. If a player isn't getting the job done, coach will plug and play another player. You don't see that in HS or Travel Ball as much. During DD's recent trip to Cali the starters could not make the adjustments against the 2nd pitcher. The coach emptied his bench and sat almost all of the starters. The bench worked hard to pull out the W. DD told me that she asked to be benched. I really didn't care that DD was subbed for and I was really happy for the whole team. They won 5 out of 6 games which was a huge success. This was DD's one and only Spring Break trip since they do their trip every other year, and we as a family went too. We had a blast.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So I’m finally lucky enough to see DD’s college team play their first games this week and I imagine what I’m witnessing is how it is at the majority of schools. ALL of the parents cheer for each other’s kids! You could walk up to the field and have no idea which kid belongs to who because of the support for all of the players.

I guess it is ultimately because for the majority of college players, this is it for them. There is no more competition to get recruited from your travel team or to make the HS team. I mean, I’m sure there is internal competition to land a starting role but if there is on DD’s team, I don’t see it.

It is so refreshing to be associated with a team where all anyone cares about is a team win, not individual stats!!
Great post 🏆 hope everyone who reads DFP reads this!

Oct 3, 2019
Another reason College Softball is different. Team over the individual. I have noticed that DD's coach does an awesome job of using his entire roster. Pinch hitting, pinch running, etc. Other school's coaches do the same as well. If a player isn't getting the job done, coach will plug and play another player. You don't see that in HS or Travel Ball as much. During DD's recent trip to Cali the starters could not make the adjustments against the 2nd pitcher. The coach emptied his bench and sat almost all of the starters. The bench worked hard to pull out the W. DD told me that she asked to be benched. I really didn't care that DD was subbed for and I was really happy for the whole team. They won 5 out of 6 games which was a huge success. This was DD's one and only Spring Break trip since they do their trip every other year, and we as a family went too. We had a blast.
Our high school is very much like that. The one freshman on Varsity is getting playing time in various roles and the coach is getting everyone in the games throughout the week. Of course the seniors are in their positions mostly, but it's been refreshing to see this. This coach has coached the team for close to 15 years and also coaches an 18u travel team which a handful of the school players are on as well. Several girls recently committed to college programs so, she's having success with her players. The seniors are very welcoming to the incoming freshmen and JV players, that began practices with them during try outs. It was all such a welcoming surprise. Nothing but support from the players for one another and the parents are that way as well. I guess we're lucky.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
There is a huge difference between playing for your school vs playing for your club/travel team. It’s a team vs individual mentality with different end goals. DD plays for a very competitive HS team that plays a tough schedule. The outcome of every game matters in HS. Every player has the same end goal - for the team to win their respective conference / county / state tournaments.

With club ball, in reality, unless you’re in a play to win tourney, the goal is to impress a college coach enough to garner interest. It’s very individual-goal based. As much as the club team says they want to win a national championship, ask the players and parents why they are paying to play for that club team. If they’re honest, they’ll say it’s to get a college scholarship rather than to win a club ball championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802