Why College Softball is Different….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Your mileage may vary with this. I've seen both in the same program but in different years. During my dd's freshman year, after she hit a big fly, another dad came up and said to me that while I might think that my dd has power, she doesn't. His daughter does and she will show it. That caught me totally off guard. I never talked about BB and her power. Mostly, that year, the wife and I didn't talk to anyone.

One more story since I can't help myself. BB was about to break the single-season home run record for her school. (It wasn't that many so I didn't think it was a big deal.) As most of you know, they play DH on the weekend. In between games, I go to my car to get some sandwiches for the wife and me. A player is crying in the parking lot and is upset that she is not the one who is going to break the record. Her mom says that's ok, you're better than her she will start making more outs. I thought that this lady was a friend. We learned our lesson.
Wth..people are strange.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wth..people are strange.
pattar, the dad that came up to me had been my friend since high school. My dd went to that school for an official visit and his dd was the host player. I never thought in a million years that he would have resented my dd so much. When I see him today, I don't say a word to him.

Jun 8, 2016
pattar, the dad that came up to me had been my friend since high school. My dd went to that school for an official visit and his dd was the host player. I never thought in a million years that he would have resented my dd so much. When I see him today, I don't say a word to him.
I don't get it, and not that it would make it right, but I can almost understand this in something like baseball where there is another viable level beyond college but in softball? At that point it is all about the Dad's ego and nothing else.

Feb 24, 2021
Pattar you hit the nail on the head about ego, I was coaching younger girls and had a dad arguing and screaming at me about the position his daughter was playing. He got so mad that his final thing he screamed was "I'm not an outfielder" which i followed with well there it is........ he walked away mumbling to himself and hasn't said a word to me since. Cannon that is disgusting that a parent would try to belittle your DD like that especially someone you considered friendly... Never ceases to amaze me I guess....

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar you hit the nail on the head about ego, I was coaching younger girls and had a dad arguing and screaming at me about the position his daughter was playing. He got so mad that his final thing he screamed was "I'm not an outfielder" which i followed with well there it is........ he walked away mumbling to himself and hasn't said a word to me since. Cannon that is disgusting that a parent would try to belittle your DD like that especially someone you considered friendly... Never ceases to amaze me I guess....
I am going to be totally honest, there have been times in the past where I have viewed my DD's performance as a reflection of me. Mostly because I have been the main person to work with her and if she is failing then I feel as if a lot of that falls on my shoulders. It is bad and something I have been working on. That said I have never had negative thoughts about another kid's performance in comparison to my kid because of that.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I am going to be totally honest, there have been times in the past where I have viewed my DD's performance as a reflection of me. Mostly because I have been the main person to work with her and if she is failing then I feel as if a lot of that falls on my shoulders. It is bad and something I have been working on. That said I have never had negative thoughts about another kid's performance in comparison to my kid because of that.

I’d bargain a lot of parents feel that way. Whether they know it or not. I’ve been guilty of it. But then I realize I don’t view anyone else’s player/kid that way. So it’s likely no one but me feels that way about my DD.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think in college, so many parents root for everyone on the team since there are other factors at play. For example, You might only get to see your dd play a few times in a season and so, when the parent is there, they are just happy to see their dd play. Also, so many teams have roommates of 2,3 or 4 players and so, the parents get involved with everyone in the apartment or "house." Also, most parents see the bigger goals of gaining an education.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I’ve seen the same thing especially at U18. By that time most of the girls that are going to play college ball already have found a team. It’s really just about playing and having fun before they head off to college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess that makes sense. Once the player has committed, the pressure is off to compete/cajole/put-down/step-on/back-stab the other players and their families. (Ok, maybe a little extreme).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812