Why aren’t there 11u divisions/competitions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
I read your post, saw the post stating that you were making fun of someone, so I read your post again. Then I read it a 3rd time. Looks like facts to me. Unfortunately sometimes facts are not popular...
Height/Weight charts are not exactly immutable fact. They are for typical people with typical frames and typical muscle tone.

Jun 26, 2019
Simply asking again why does the size of a player matter?

Watching the girls my daughter has played with for a few years who are now 12 and 13, there are a few aspects that strength helps, but I will say this: softball is a skill sport more so than athleticism. Work and quality coaching and natural talent seperates the wide level of talent not so much size. When this same group of girls plays volleyball or basketball its a bit different.

Jun 8, 2016
Height/Weight charts are not exactly immutable fact. They are for typical people with typical frames and typical muscle tone.
I never said your kid was overweight nor did I imply it although I guess something I said made you think I did. For that, I apologize. If your DD's pediatrician thinks your DD is at a healthy weight for her height/ age than you have nothing to be worried about, right?

But back to the original topic that started this "argument". I will stand by my statement that a team full of 130 lb 12 YO who are highly skilled will be a dominant team in 12U. Not sure who you play for in 12U here in OK but I dare you to name one local team that fits that description..

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
A good coach who cares about his players’ development will seek out the appropriate competition. It takes a little work, some research, some trust, some luck and some asking.

My DD plays on a primarily 2007 team (so, young for 14u). Our coach’s strategy is to stretch the girls on non-tournament weekend friendlies (we routinely get our butts handed to us – there is no shortage of teams who seem happy to come to tee off), and then enter us in competition appropriate tournaments where we win some, we lose some. I love this approach. They see great competition, pitching, on the friendlies which more than prepares them for the tournaments. Of course a dominant team sometimes leaks into a lower level tournament than they should probably be in, it’s gonna happen, but hopefully not routinely.

Anecdotally, we have two 2008’s on the team (including my DD), and the other is a head taller than everyone.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

No argument here, but then it would be the data that is subject to discussion, not that someone was picking on a group of people.

Jun 7, 2020
We live in the Missouri. If I remember correctly we have only 11 or 12 11u teams for the state. The majority of these teams come from KC or STL. What I see is that 11u teams usually play up in 12b or 12c. There's not many tournaments that are for 11u divisions.
Talking about size of the players, my dd is 5'8 or 5'9 2nd year 12u. I was scouting some of the teams from this coming weekends tournament. We are playing 12b. We have 2 11u teams in our pool. We play both of them this Saturday. They have smaller players. I believe the tallest is 5'5. But both of these 11u teams are ranked number 1 and number 2 in the state of MO. On our team we have 2 players who are close to 5'9. But also have girls that are still only 4 ft something as well. Size can play a big role is sports. But usually with size the slower running speed that they have. I've also seen smaller girls throw in the mid to low 50s in 12u. Which I'd say is pretty good. We have another girl who pitches with our team is 12 yrs old and 5'3. She pitches 53 consistently.

Oct 28, 2020
Saw this post and thought it was ironic, because we have a tourney this weekend and there are 15 11U teams in it! I’ve never seen an 11U bracket so big!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812