Why aren’t there 11u divisions/competitions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
We live in the Missouri. If I remember correctly we have only 11 or 12 11u teams for the state. The majority of these teams come from KC or STL. What I see is that 11u teams usually play up in 12b or 12c. There's not many tournaments that are for 11u divisions.
Talking about size of the players, my dd is 5'8 or 5'9 2nd year 12u. I was scouting some of the teams from this coming weekends tournament. We are playing 12b. We have 2 11u teams in our pool. We play both of them this Saturday. They have smaller players. I believe the tallest is 5'5. But both of these 11u teams are ranked number 1 and number 2 in the state of MO. On our team we have 2 players who are close to 5'9. But also have girls that are still only 4 ft something as well. Size can play a big role is sports. But usually with size the slower running speed that they have. I've also seen smaller girls throw in the mid to low 50s in 12u. Which I'd say is pretty good. We have another girl who pitches with our team is 12 yrs old and 5'3. She pitches 53 consistently.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying the number 1 and 2 ranked teams in MO are 11u teams? If so what rankings are you looking at?

Jun 8, 2016
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying the number 1 and 2 ranked teams in MO are 11u teams? If so what rankings are you looking at?
Looks like he was saying the two 11U teams in his pool are the top ranked 11u teams in the state (probably USSSA rankings...)

Apr 1, 2017
this begs the question, how much time/effort do TDs put into separating teams into pool. around here, most teams self classify, and it seems TDs simply take that at face value. in fact, for a lot of the non sanctioned tournaments (ie not USA/USSSA/etc.), the events are simply open, with all teamsin an age bracket in a single pool (albeit most of these are smaller, normally about 12 team affiars).

in fact, our state championship in one sanction I fear is going to be made an open (or at least A and B combined), because of a lack of A teams.
Most of the local tournaments around here advertise as B/C, and people seem to take it like that means anything. You have an average C team play an upper B team and 12-2 would be a great accomplishment for the C team.

In the end, whether it's 11u, 12u, whatever u, the team manager has to try and put some effort into finding tournaments that are a good fit. It's helpful when you can see who has already signed up for a tournament on their website/tourney machine/etc.

Jul 14, 2018
Looks like he was saying the two 11U teams in his pool are the top ranked 11u teams in the state (probably USSSA rankings...)

I’ve always suspected that those USSSA teams that register as 11O do so because it helps their rankings. There’s never more than a handful, so everyone can say, “Hey! We’re ranked third in the state!”

Also, USSSA gives weighted power rank to 11O teams that ‘play up’ and beat 12B teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
As many have said, skill is much more important than age. There are a handful of 17 year olds on my DD’s HS team that you would not want on your 12u team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As many have said, skill is much more important than age. There are a handful of 17 year olds on my DD’s HS team that you would not want on your 12u team.

Tremendous example!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802