Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD still got straight A's and my vacation days were saved up for this kind of stuff. Now that shes in college 6 hours away, towards the end of our travel ball life, I miss the goofy kid I got to see on those road trips more then the actually softball.

You'll miss it when its over. I promise.
Definitely a juggling act!

6 hours away might be some more road trips in the schedule 🙂

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Wow...tournament ball instead of school. Between school ball and this, the days inevitably add up quickly. Some kids will deal with it alright, but it will catch up to others. I'm personally seeing a number of good (D1 level) players derailed because they can't handle the academics. The best HS player I've yet seen went to a D1 school only to transfer to a JUCO after one semester. It wasn't because she couldn't compete. She absolutely tore up JUCO pitching over three seasons, but is now apparently done. I'm already hearing about current freshman D1 players already in academic trouble and the semester is only a month old. Short-change your kid's academic preparation and it won't matter how good they are.

There's no reason for it...just a money grab.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
The same has been true for Ronald McDonald tourney. Must be ready to play at 8am on Friday.
First time I remember having to do this for Ronald McDonald. My kid has played in it for the last 3 years.

I don't really mind, but I don't really see a reason for it. The "Whose Coming" list this year looks like 80+% teams we see at local tournaments which cost 1/3rd the price and don't require travel.

What am I missing?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
First time I remember having to do this for Ronald McDonald. My kid has played in it for the last 3 years.

I don't really mind, but I don't really see a reason for it. The "Whose Coming" list this year looks like 80+% teams we see at local tournaments which cost 1/3rd the price and don't require travel.

What am I missing?
From what I see, there is a significant increase of out of state teams coming. Bombers weekend will have even more out of state teams based on recent history. DD's team never travelled outside of HTX in the fall. Never was a need. Coach understood the needs of his players and families. Lots of kids having to attend out of town college camps already. No need to add travel costs for out of town tourneys. But HTX is very lucky to be a hot bed. With the Alliance, I am seeing teams going to Dallas and Austin too.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

What am I missing?
Well apparently if you dont attend you will be missing out on what 80% of the teams you play are doing.

Is that peer pressure?

Oct 29, 2019
From what I see, there is a significant increase of out of state teams coming. Bombers weekend will have even more out of state teams based on recent history. DD's team never travelled outside of HTX in the fall. Never was a need. Coach understood the needs of his players and families. Lots of kids having to attend out of town college camps already. No need to add travel costs for out of town tourneys. But HTX is very lucky to be a hot bed. With the Alliance, I am seeing teams going to Dallas and Austin too.
In our age group I see 6 out of 30 teams from out of state. There is a good mix of HTX and NTX teams though.

The Alliance tourney's seem to draw a few good teams from other metro areas which is really cool.

I'm still pretty green as far as understanding how all this works though. I didn't know if there was something RM provides other tourney's don't.

Nov 29, 2009
You need to understand something. The PGF does not own the tournaments. The decision to play on Friday mornings is coming from the Tournament Director. The PGF only owns the National and Regional tournaments. Anything else is only sanctioned by the PGF.

I you have a complaint you need to take it up with the TD.

Sep 3, 2015
Are we talking about the Shootout next weekend? Somehow the stay to play folks got an extra day out of it.

7 hour drive on Thursday? That’s 2 days of school. DD has 3 AP classes, it’s BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Are we talking about the Shootout next weekend? Somehow the stay to play folks got an extra day out of it.

7 hour drive on Thursday? That’s 2 days of school. DD has 3 AP classes, it’s BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember the question is, WHY are we playing on Friday Morning? Especially when logistically they could easily have local teams play one Friday night game and still get all the games in by Sunday 5:00 pm. Friday at 10:00 am is simply put ... a money grab. Unless somebody has a better explanation. Do the TDs care about STUDENTS/ athletes? Not so much. $$$$$$ is numero uno!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598