Who's mistake?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@Eric F
What are your thots on being prepaired for more challenging throws?
Side/Side, Up/Down
Controlling and fielding throws off target.
imo
Face they play greatest ability for range/agility to field the ball is critical.
Wouldnt want to give up any of that ability.

Are you saying
When say the right fielder is about to throw the ball your dd catching is already set up sideways?
Or
She sets up like that after seeing trajectory of the ball?

Because there are times catchers have to go to the ball.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
@Eric F
What are your thots on being prepaired for more challenging throws?
Side/Side, Up/Down
Controlling and fielding throws off target.
imo
Face they play greatest ability for range/agility to field the ball is critical.
Wouldnt want to give up any of that ability.

Are you saying
When say the right fielder is about to throw tje ball your dd catching is already set up sideways?
Or
She sets up like that after seeing trajectory of the ball?

Simple...move your feet, if you need to.

I agree that fielding the ball is important. So is protecting your body. Knees don't like to fold I'm interested in young players being able to play the game tomorrow.

Catcher should be set up early enough so 1B has the time to see where her target is after receiving the ball from RF.

If how you're teaching your catchers worked for you and works for them, that's great. I appreciate the discussion, but based on what I've seen with my DD, her teammates that I've instructed, conversations I've had with catching instructors, and what makes sense to me, I have a different opinion on this topic, and I'm not likely to change it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Simple...move your feet, if you need to.

I agree that fielding the ball is important. So is protecting your body. Knees don't like to fold I'm interested in young players being able to play the game tomorrow.

Catcher should be set up early enough so 1B has the time to see where her target is after receiving the ball from RF.

If how you're teaching your catchers worked for you and works for them, that's great. I appreciate the discussion, but based on what I've seen with my DD, her teammates that I've instructed, conversations I've had with catching instructors, and what makes sense to me, I have a different opinion on this topic, and I'm not likely to change it.
Gotcha! Good chat!
Really it was nice to bring out perspectives.

As to your point about injury.
Never sustained being taken out by having my leg pulled out from under me. Never got cleated by a player knee or lower. Lots of collisions.
( that said, accidents are accidents that can happen)

There are mechanics people prefer for different reasons.
Glad there are choices! 👍

Jul 8, 2021
I'm going to go with "both" here. I don't have a big issue with where the C set up, but it could be a little closer to the plate. 1B's throw was on the opposite side of the C's body from her mitt, causing her to turn away from the incoming runner. This is a bad body position if there is an impact with the runner, and there is a lot of arm movement required to make the tag after catching the ball. These factors increase the likelihood of a botched play. A throw in a better spot, and it's probably an easy out. All that said, this ball was catchable, and the C needed to put more focus on making the catch before making the tag.

At the apparent age and level of play, ripping into either of these players is a coaching fail. Their idea was right, but the execution needs some work. Make sure the players understand how they could have done it better, and maybe put some work into it at the next practice.
I am in total agreement. The coach could definitely turned this into a learning experience, especially at this age level.

Feb 21, 2017
@KrisHur I have 2 questions. First I didn’t see the age group in the thread. Second how much does your coach practice a throw home and what does he instruct?

What I did see is she did pivot and get down but not enough and she needs to work ALL balls from the ground up (this goes for catching the pitches too). You can practice picks with her which would help (her overall skill). Also, her left foot needs to start pointing down the third base line because even unintentional contact could be bad if the knee bends the wrong way. She should NOT face the first basemen, just twist hips. I am pleased to see her helmet is on, don’t ever take it off on this play.

If your daughters coach didn’t explain this these things to her and practice this then he can point the finger at your daughter but as you know 3 fingers are pointing back at him. In reality this stuff is teachable with practice, that is the only issue here.

I am 100% on this information. We know catching in our house.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
@KrisHur I have 2 questions. First I didn’t see the age group in the thread. Second how much does your coach practice a throw home and what does he instruct?

What I did see is she did pivot and get down but not enough and she needs to work ALL balls from the ground up (this goes for catching the pitches too). You can practice picks with her which would help (her overall skill). Also, her left foot needs to start pointing down the third base line because even unintentional contact could be bad if the knee bends the wrong way. She should NOT face the first basemen, just twist hips. I am pleased to see her helmet is on, don’t ever take it off on this play.

If your daughters coach didn’t explain this these things to her and practice this then he can point the finger at your daughter but as you know 3 fingers are pointing back at him. In reality this stuff is teachable with practice, that is the only issue here.

I am 100% on this information. We know catching in our house.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His DD was the 1B

Feb 15, 2017
Because the throw was on target to the plate.

Had the catcher set up facing the throw...
it could have been catch ball tag to the left side of body.

Instead catcher set up sideways
*With her body between the throw and the tag.
Caught the ball twisting to her right.
Did twist/spin move to her left to tag runner.
And then dropped the ball.

(Yes i understand throw to glove side.
But the catchers glove side was actually on the backside of the play. )

Also especially at home
would not want the throw further up the line then necessary.

Will comment imo
cut-offs should also face the throw, not be already positioned sideways, because sideways cuts in half defensive range.
Ok to wait and see if throw is in line already and then turn sideways into cut off throw.
*Same with pick-offs.
Face the throw.
Why do you want to throw the ball right and the plate when you have to tag the runner before the get to the plate? Shouldn't the ball be about a foot up the third base foul line? I have umped too many bangers at the plate and had coaches scream when the catcher drops the tag on the runner who's already on the plate. And teach all players to let the ball travel...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812