Who's Coaching Your Kids??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I coached my DD's rec team for three years with my friend, whose DD was on the team, we had zero help from the organization. We both were new at coaching and basically taught ourselves how to be good (at least competent) coaches. It would of been nice to have some training or clinics, but we got the job done, and won 2 of 3 District championships. (Wasn't really us, we had one great pitcher)
May i ask...Flash & Cougars
what did your coaching staff do to grow as coaches? Resource info for everyone...

Trend reading posts seems to be oversight adding structure by either softball venue and/or organizational assistance.
Agree with both.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It isn't like there is a huge pool of ready-made coaches who are missing out. Especially in younger ages, the coaches are coaches because someone had to step up or wanted to step up.

Without those people - good or bad at coaching - the kids don't get to play. And this is where the next generation of good coaches come from. Like everything you do for the first time, you have to start somewhere.

It is like the "why do they still let XXX umpire..." - well because there are so few options.

Sure - it up to the org to provide some level of training and resources or for the coaches to develop themselves as a coach. And some will take it and some won't. It is not a paying job and even if you just did the very minimum it is still a massive time commitment.

*Good points made in this post marriard!

For discussion will address a couple. :)

1. There isnt a huge pool of ready made coaches who are missing out.
( Good point. Not a line of knowledged coaches waiting to coach)
Hmmmm?
There is actually a huge pool of self titled coaches who are not missing out.
True many are not ready/knowledged to coach.

2. Coaches are coaches because someone had to step up or wanted to step up.

*This maybe a key to whats going on!
Why do new teams start???...
When there are already so many with tryouts always posted!!
Different scenario's to start a team,
for example,
Ego vs. Good intentions.
can lead to teams splitting up because low development, low success, people get frustrated, coaches cant agree or get along or one right the other is an idiot. Team splits or revolving door players/coaches.
Really tears softball apart.
Because of the density of players and maybe density of the repeated team/coach fallout...finding a season worth staying for can tell is taking a toll on developing players.

*The result is
Many people go to weekly
Fielding clinics
Hitting lessons
Catching clinics or lessons
Pitching lessons of course

*These have taken the place of coaching knowledge.
And in some cases replacing what used to be the role of the coach.
*Unfortunetly % of those that do not do these things are falling behind on the learning/development curve.

Its great everyone gets to play somewhere!!!!
However there is a seperation in talent levels to greater degree.
*Posibly do to greater % playing can see it more.

If players are able to go get educated....and org's offer clinics to pay to go, in some cases mandatory fielding and hitting weekly outside of team practices....
Then why leave coaches out?
Org's make bank on clinics.
Offer coaches free clinic would only help org players be successful. Probably pay to go to clinic people/some coaches would want.

Educate the coaches!
True some may not listen,
(Heck not everyone likes to go to school.)
Others want to learn and grow to be a successful coach!

The organizations know they created this system of
"Bring in anyone who wants to coach a team....
We will make money at our clinics."

I LOOK FORWARD TO AN ORGANIZATION WHO DECIDES TRAINING THE COACHES
IS IMPORTANT !!!!

Even if people think its just
another money grab,
It would be nice to have
TCS , PGF, USA preps. & others offer coaching clinics with seasoned softball coaches teaching.
It could be offered in many states.

LETS GROW SOFTBALL

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
It strikes me (pun intended) that baseball around us is much more organized. Limited travel teams all affiliated with the rec league. Very strict rules on tryouts and amount of pitching time and playing time. Baseball like most boys sports gets a lot more participation and funding and research. I think rec baseball is about 10-20 years ahead of rec softball and same with travel. That might be optimistic. Because there is an MLB. So maybe it's 100 years ahead. I don't know the answers. But I think it begins with looking at how other sports do things correctly.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.

I am not a big proponent of 'travel' softball. It seem like you put out much more cash than you get back in return. Don't get me wrong - love the sport ! And am glad that it is growing, but I definitely see the growing pains that the sport is going through.

I've made this comment before on this site and I think it still holds true. Softball would be wise to follow the formula the American Legion executes for baseball. Though American Legion Baseball is not big in every part of the country it is HUGE in certain states and from what I have seen at a fraction of the cost of the same age girl playing softball. Another positive to the American Legion Baseball formula is that it is community driven as opposed to kids being cherry picked from several states only to meet each other at the tournament site.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are inherent dangers in telling a volunteer coach that their services don't measure up. You argue that they are doing a disservice. In fact, so many are providing a great service. You argue that they need to give up more of their time to keep their volunteer position. I would argue that you will lose many, if not most, of these volunteers.

When you make the point that if coaches were more knowledgeable then there would not be a need for the private hitting instructor, you ignore that regardless of the quality and knowledge of team coaches, parents are always looking for that edge that will make their player stand out. I do both private lessons and coach HS. I see it all of the time.

You point out that the quality of teams are greatly diminished when there are so many teams. I see it differently and that young ones get a chance to explore the sport. If they like it, they can evolve to those better coached programs as the player improves. While it might not be the best system, it is what happens.

I'll wrap up by saying my dd played and then coached in an organization that had mandatory coaching training for their system. That system was not always in alignment with what she learned growing up but she was a loyal solider in the system. When all of that time and effort began to affect her job and when that organization didn't ... I'll stop there. She has a job with great demands on her time and so, she no longer coaches in that organization. What a shame.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There are inherent dangers in telling a volunteer coach that their services don't measure up. You argue that they are doing a disservice. In fact, so many are providing a great service. You argue that they need to give up more of their time to keep their volunteer position. I would argue that you will lose many, if not most, of these volunteers.

When you make the point that if coaches were more knowledgeable then there would not be a need for the private hitting instructor, you ignore that regardless of the quality and knowledge of team coaches, parents are always looking for that edge that will make their player stand out. I do both private lessons and coach HS. I see it all of the time.

You point out that the quality of teams are greatly diminished when there are so many teams. I see it differently and that young ones get a chance to explore the sport. If they like it, they can evolve to those better coached programs as the player improves. While it might not be the best system, it is what happens.

I'll wrap up by saying my dd played and then coached in an organization that had mandatory coaching training for their system. That system was not always in alignment with what she learned growing up but she was a loyal solider in the system. When all of that time and effort began to affect her job and when that organization didn't ... I'll stop there. She has a job with great demands on her time and so, she no longer coaches in that organization. What a shame.
So all that feedback....
No possible solution or assistance suggested? Still good to read there was an org who offered coaches training.

Not sure who you were speaking about ignoring?
No one arguing!

The point is lack of coaches with knowledge have a cause and effect!

Myself speaking up to bring attention to a scenario in
So Cal that has become complicated and more expensive to travel ball families.
It also creates a situation where people will follow what all the paid for clinics teach them....while some coaches either lost their role in coaching there team or ignored.
Cause conflicts that may otherwise be diminished if coaches could have better knowledge and provide better practices.

Of course people will still go to private training!!
But should so many have to ?
To learn basic skills?
Are you saying dont educate or offer assistance for coaches?

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The lack of coaches period has a consequence. What do you propose? If you propose paid coaches then, there are countless organizations out there. If you propose volunteer coaches with conditions then you will greatly limit those coaches. You see the system as broken. I don't. I see a system that provides countless opportunities to young ladies to play. I don't know which of us is right and will admit that I am too close to the subject matter to be impartial. To have a system you propose, then there have to be consequences for those coaches who either don't care to take the courses or who don't have the time. When they are discharged from their duties, who steps in? If you say others from an organization, I have seen those promises many times only to be so disappointed.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In so cal...no lack of coaches or teams.

Never said system broken.

Pointing out an area that could use assistance!

Sounds like you didnt read positive suggestions!

Its not a system 'its an opportunity' for the coaches who want to grow.
Atleast provide resources.
Of course coaches will still have
the good, bad & ugly.
Educating and training could/should provide growth like it does for the players who attend training for similar reasons!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
With the internet, there is no reason that a coach cannot educate him or herself enough to become an adequate coach. No, they will not become Casey Stengel overnight but there is no reason for a coach at any age group not to be able to run an effective and efficient practice. Main problem is most people are either lazy or are afraid to challenge themselves/go outside their comfort zone.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

This stood out to me, too.

Between our two high school teams, our 13u team, and our 10u team, my DW and I coach 50-60 girls. We do have help. We have two other coaches for high school, and this year we have someone to coach the 13u team (in past years, we only had someone who could be there the first half of the season). And there is an incredibly helpful dad who helps out with the 10u team. But they're all just that: help. I'm grateful for them, but the truth is that my DW and I do most of the work for our teams. It takes up most of our free time.

We are not the best coaches in the world, but even if we were, there is absolutely no way we could give all of those girls all the time and attention they require to be the best players they can be. No matter how we structure our practices, there are only so many reps to go around.

Maybe our girls don't need a private instructor to compete at our level, but they certainly need practice away from practice.

Oh, and about that 10u team: We have so many girls in grades 3-5 interested in playing, we may have to start a second team this year. Our issue: We have no idea would coach it. So our options are find a couple parents who are willing to coach them or tell a dozen girls they can't play because our team is full. I'll take the "bad" parent coaches.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This stood out to me, too.

Between our two high school teams, our 13u team, and our 10u team, my DW and I coach 50-60 girls. We do have help. We have two other coaches for high school, and this year we have someone to coach the 13u team (in past years, we only had someone who could be there the first half of the season). And there is an incredibly helpful dad who helps out with the 10u team. But they're all just that: help. I'm grateful for them, but the truth is that my DW and I do most of the work for our teams. It takes up most of our free time.

We are not the best coaches in the world, but even if we were, there is absolutely no way we could give all of those girls all the time and attention they require to be the best players they can be. No matter how we structure our practices, there are only so many reps to go around.

Maybe our girls don't need a private instructor to compete at our level, but they certainly need practice away from practice.

Oh, and about that 10u team: We have so many girls in grades 3-5 interested in playing, we may have to start a second team this year. Our issue: We have no idea would coach it. So our options are find a couple parents who are willing to coach them or tell a dozen girls they can't play because our team is full. I'll take the "bad" parent coaches.

Would it be a good thing for those parents stepping up to have an opportunity to gather some knowledge?!
Perhaps you will take them under your wing and present a practice plan for them.
As cannonball mentioned there are people who will look forward to training and seek out knowledge.
Just like players go to a weekend camp.
The suggestion is simply that opportunity for coaches.
Just like your scenario.
Parents will take on a coaching title.
*CoachJD from what have read of your posts...cant imagine you would just pick any parent to do this. + you will probably offer some of your well seasoned guidance!!??

As others have gathered knowledge, coach and teach, i as well am a private instructor. Train teams, do clinics, and have coached.
Have also volunteered atleast as much of my time coaching and providing clinics at high schools, jc college, travel ball and rec.
In every volunteer situation people are appreciative of the time. I know i have been appreciative of the opportunities!
Perhaps from these experiences can see if organizations and /or softball venue's would step up....
More people could learn who want to.
Like pattar mentioned on line info. Yes thats a tool. Also people like to interact and be hands on, ask questions and participate.
I really believe there could be greater assistance to help coaches!

Sharing perspectives to
HELP GROW SOFTBALL

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee