Whole team has stopped swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I wouldn't do anything..they were hitting before and making a big deal out of it will just get into their heads more than they already are. Just tell them to be aggressive and be in hunt mode. It will come around.

Sep 28, 2015
My .02 is to first of all not talk about it.

Second, I would incorporate some mental challenges into batting practice and eventually warm ups. 1) For example, at the whiffle front toss tell them you are changing speeds and they have to adjust. Once they square it up then change speeds again.
2) Another time you can alternate throwing the whiffle at them and then over the plate. Make it a game to fake them out. Obviously adjust to the kids ability to deal with the fear and throw low if that is a concern.
3) Practice different sized strike zones and encourage them to learn when it is necessary to hit a “bad” pitch. Lots of kids can’t deal with the concept that umpires are not following the rules!!!!

Before you do any of this explain the “why” and about the need to be making adjustments physically and mentally. Explain and repeat constantly the “approach” of having 0,1, or 2 strikes!!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Try this mentality.

I’m swinging unless it’s a ball.

Positions their mind to a swinging mentality.

Sep 18, 2016
They are 12u. The yelling about bad pitches is something I am very sensitive to because it did happen to my DD at the beginning of her softball journey at 7 and took several seasons to fix, so other coaches knew about it and I wouldn't have picked team if the other coaches did it.

More often girls come in arguing that blue called balls strikes. I keep trying to drive home that they have to have a hitting mentality and if that pitch was close enough to argue about it was close enough to hit. Obviously these are pitches clipping the corners and riding the river. I really don't at this point mind the swinging at junk at least the bat is moving. I just don't understand why they are watching the fastball go right down the middle and then golfing for the others.

One of the girls last night did tell me it was because she had no confidence in herself after striking against a really bad pitcher and it has gotten worse each game, because she goes up expecting to get out. I'll keep reminding everyone to go up to bat believing in getting on base and getting a hit. Sometimes I wonder what the parents are saying on gameday.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2015
Chasing the last pitch, guessing, challenging the strike zone, hoping to walk, waiting to see if it is a strike......

As a coach we often expect the kids are learning and comprehending things at the same rate as adults. The reality is that you need to take a few steps back and re-introduce fundamentals for each batter. Most will be about the approach, some will be about challenging strike calls, and some just don’t think and guess.

I had this happen to me and I had to do a full reset of my own expectations and not be disappointed to go back to the beginning.

Good luck!

Nov 8, 2018
They are 12u. The yelling about bad pitches is something I am very sensitive to because it did happen to my DD at the beginning of her softball journey at 7 and took several seasons to fix, so other coaches knew about it and I wouldn't have picked team if the other coaches did it.

More often girls come in arguing that blue called balls strikes. I keep trying to drive home that they have to have a hitting mentality and if that pitch was close enough to argue about it was close enough to hit. Obviously these are pitches clipping the corners and riding the river. I really don't at this point mind the swinging at junk at least the bat is moving. I just don't understand why they are watching the fastball go right down the middle and then golfing for the others.

One of the girls last night did tell me it was because she had no confidence in herself after striking against a really bad pitcher and it has gotten worse each game, because she goes up expecting to get out. I'll keep reminding everyone to go up to bat believing in getting on base and getting a hit. Sometimes I wonder what the parents are saying on gameday.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Tell them to expand their strike zone.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
As we all know hitting is contagious, that goes for good hitting as well as bad hitting. Based on my experience there are no real answers for a team that suddenly starts to struggle at the plate. It seems worse with younger teams because anything analytical won't work. I sometimes think that batters start to swing at the ball rather than hit the ball. You might try grouping the girls who are hitting together in the lineup in hopes of jump starting something. If that doesn't work I would get some of those thunderbolt arm patches that the Knights used in the Robert Redford movie The Natural and hand them out.

Mar 26, 2016
The team needs live pitching from a very good college player or retired player not put Hong from a team player someone super good that can still throw 60 to 70. Live pitching machine helps as well. You do both and have the parents get a live pitcher you will see your team turn around fast. The pit her can show the girls different pitches where there going to land. It will help big time

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
The team needs live pitching from a very good college player or retired player not put Hong from a team player someone super good that can still throw 60 to 70. Live pitching machine helps as well. You do both and have the parents get a live pitcher you will see your team turn around fast. The pit her can show the girls different pitches where there going to land. It will help big time

They are 12....

As for the team hitting (or not hitting) I like to use mental pictures. Have them all close their eyes... describe a close game and you have struck out twice against this pitcher, I mean you weren't even close to hitting it. It's the bottom of the 7th, runner on 3B down by 1, 2 outs. The first pitch zips in for a called strike, second pitch is a change and you swing so early you miss it entirely. You dig into the box, the pitcher starts her motion....

Now have them open their eyes and tell you what was going through their head. I'll wager most if not all of them had some sort of negative thoughts going through their heads. Then explain what the negative things can be. To prove your point... have them close their eyes then say DO NOT THINK OF A PINK ELEPHANT.... guess what image shows in their mind???