Who should the coach tell about practices first, the players or the parents?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
DD is 2nd year 12U travel and the HC and AC have a group chat with the girls where HC sends things like the uniform schedule. There were some bumps early on, because some girls are not as responsible as others. And also some seem to lose their phones for various infractions at least every other week. But for my DD anyway, it's been great. I think for most of the others it has too. They've learned a lot about being responsible for their own crap this year.

ETA: parents also get the schedule. We have a team calendar that's public and anyone can see it. The players are expected to be on top of things though, and for the most part have stepped up nicely.

Apr 28, 2016
Riseball is right. Teach your kids to communicate with you effectively and timely.

I think once the girl hits middle school age (11-12), it’s okay to communicate directly with the girls as a group, and it should be the girls’ responsibility to communicate to their parents.

I understand that they can’t drive themselves, so my daughters have been told and understand that due to our work schedules, they need to tell us about practices and such AS SOON as they know. If they fail to communicate effectively, then they learn a valuable lesson about the importance of listening and communicating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2015
similar discussion i just had with my sons 10u coach. Would you rather have nothing on the schedule and coach schedule practice last minute or have it scheduled and then cancelled? What looks "worse" in parents eyes?

Nov 16, 2015
14u it needs to be with the players. Parents need to give up some control and led their kids take that lead. Work with them on it. My 14 year old and 16 year old handle all their schedules in the summer. Weight room, speed camp, open gyms for other sports, drivers ed and softball practice and game schedule. Our kids (community) do a great job of making sure everyone is included and those with licenses drive those that done. Its a simple cycle promoted by the school and families

Apr 1, 2017
We will tell the girls at practice/game if something new pops up/changes, but everything scheduled is on teamsnap right away, and all parents/players have it. Being the one that tries to manage the schedule, and who's available or not, teamsnap (or whatever app you are using) makes things so much easier. For example, a league game gets rained out and I figure out a possible make-up date with the other team. Post it on the schedule and I'll know within an hour or so if that date works using the availability tab.

Apr 1, 2017
similar discussion i just had with my sons 10u coach. Would you rather have nothing on the schedule and coach schedule practice last minute or have it scheduled and then cancelled? What looks "worse" in parents eyes?

Maybe its my OCD, or having 3 kids that all needs rides, but I'd rather have it scheduled and cancelled. That way, things can at least be planned.

Apr 17, 2019
I get it, that DD's coach cannot schedule practice the same day of the week, every week. He runs practices on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night, on some weeks it runs two practices. He usually announces the practice times on the Sunday or Monday of that week. He announces the practices times on the players group chat, sometimes announcing it on the parents group chat later, sometimes he doesn't even announce it on the parents chat at all and we find out through the kids.

Do you think a coach should inform the parents first, or is it common practice to announce it to the players first?

We used to be on a team where the coach would do that the age group was 10u. He would change practice time to earlier in the week or something, then we would find out about it when he would put it out to all the parents the day before. Then he would get mad that some of the parents had plans made, and half the kids wouldn't make it to practice.

I understand that you want the kids to be more responsible but not at 10u, if you are going to do that it's fine but you should communicate with the parents to either before or directly after talking to the kids. At that age things you say to them can easily get confused.

May 6, 2015
I agree teamsnap, GC, teamapp, great tools for keeping eveyrone (players, parents, etc.) all clued in. current team used facebook (arrrggghhh, I am not on FB, DW is), and sometimes supplements with a group text. If they would just put it all in GC, it would be so much easier. plus, from GC and teamsnap, onecan link schedule to your calendar, so truly everything (work, softball, field hockey, life, etc.) is in one place.

Sep 29, 2014
Obviously with technology it should go to everyone at once. Although I have had the occasional parent without a smartphone but at least they had email and a flip phone for regular texting.

In the end being a responsible kid at 14 and working out your schedule is all well and good but ultimately as one poster said IF THE KID CAN"T DRIVE probably best to make sure the parents are n the loop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad