Who said you have to move forward?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m a shift then swing guy. BH has very little shift here as well.
View attachment 19129

Ok, Are there 2 different styles? One being to shift into the swing and one being the swing creating the shift? Is Hank one style and Soto another style?

Yeah BH has a small shift, some of it is simply positioning the hips while creating a coil, which he maintains until the swing starts. Or creates a crease in the back hip/leg and holds that crease.

I’ll be back....

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I’m a shift then swing guy. BH has very little shift here as well.
View attachment 19129

So are most of the best hitters that played the game.

mvZpqjg.gif

3wLHMQV.gif

zL3XQqs.gif

TA79CrJ.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

I’ll count the frames to determine pitch release, just did a quick assumption of when the ball was released. So the first pause is pitch release and the second pause is the launch position.

He doesn’t shift forward very much.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ok, Are there 2 different styles? One being to shift into the swing and one being the swing creating the shift? Is Hank one style and Soto another style?

Yeah BH has a small shift, some of it is simply positioning the hips while creating a coil, which he maintains until the swing starts. Or creates a crease in the back hip/leg and holds that crease.

I’ll be back....

I think they are doing the same thing from different starting positions to different degrees.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
giphy.gif

I’ll count the frames to determine pitch release, just did a quick assumption of when the ball was released. So the first pause is pitch release and the second pause is the launch position.

He doesn’t shift forward very much.

Agreed. A higher pitch will require a shorter shift.

9BA21DE3-EF0E-4638-86A0-2C3D0C2A5346.gif

Jul 22, 2015
Not much shift, there might be a little shift caused by the swing. There isn’t a forward shift like Hank Aaron.
I disagree. I see plenty of weight shift in Soto, Harper, and almost all of the other hitters shown. I think some are confusing the length of stride with weight shift.

Jun 8, 2016
How do you define shift?
Yeah there are two different things being discussed here I think (and technically, as I have said numerous times, your weight doesn’t shift during a swing just like the length of your nose doesn’t shift during the swing...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478