Who said an arm bar is bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
sure lateral tilt is present. But we were speaking of beforehand into foot plant. How one adjusts to get on plane to the pitch initially. Some think it’s with the hands/arms and others think it’s with forward bend. We all agree lateral tilt is a great adjuster after foot down.

when speaking of how the ‘best’ get it done, we should probably use the ‘best’ right? Wouldn’t feel right using my DD to explain how the best adjust right?

As far as adjusting I do believe the arms and legs and hands do most of it, along with lateral tilt along with some hip flexion and some hip slide at times.

why do I need a list of fundamentals when talking about 1 specific subject?

I do like the body adjusting automatically. Each player adjusts differently, I think I said as much earlier.

edit: my dd uses a ‘longer’ arm when adjusting quite often. Would personally like if she didn’t but it’s not my style it’s hers. I just try to get her to a position so she can adjust. From there it’s instincts mostly. I have given her side bend drills and hip flexion drills and let her gravitate to what she does best. I always say ‘try this.. if you like it, use it, if not discard’.

Because there is too much "virtue signaling" here. Semantics! Athletic people do athletic things when pressed by abnormal things, situations. Beyond the basics or fundamentals for me is just semantics. You have less than .2 seconds left when that front toe touches down. Any adjustments are not going to be a thought process on your axis, so athletic players will adjust to what they see, and quickly.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Because there is too much "virtue signaling" here. Semantics! Athletic people do athletic things when pressed by abnormal things, situations. Beyond the basics or fundamentals for me is just semantics. You have less than .2 seconds left when that front toe touches down. Any adjustments are not going to be a thought process on your axis, so athletic players will adjust to what they see, and quickly.

happen to be up... ok man. Whatever you say. Not gonna throw stones. Waste of time. Good luck!

May 12, 2016
I pretty much agree with almost all you pose. Though not directed at you I was just emphasizing that teaching grip, posture, load, stride, starting with the backside, simultaneous shoulder tilt, proper bat path short to the ball (deep in the zone) long through the ball, extension, keeping the hands inside the ball, proper hitting outside pitches (or where the ball is pitched) is just about enough. That is 10. Maybe I need a toe?

I inherit girls with pathetic mechanics. One of the more common is dropping the front elbow as soon as the back elbow gets to slot. I had a high school team at the Nation HS championships with 100% doing that. I gave them a 2 hour lesson that evening. They got "no-hit" two straight games by weak teams. The next 4 days they ended up winning 50% of their games just over that one issue. Some don't know how to spot it.

I am 69, almost 70. I do not swing much any more. I will find an example. Here is Rizzo, Andrelton Simmons, Donaldson, Beltre all going down on the back knee. Belt re did it most. All were HRs. In softball Michele Smith was a master of it. The big difference for me was I tried to stabilize my knee height to the pitch height. At times my back knee would stabilize at 10 inches height, another time 6 inches.
You still need an extra toe because now you have to teach them how to adjust with the back knee :). Regardless, you mentioned shoulder tilt and posture in your 10. Shoulder tilt be adjusted as per pitch location, you agree? And posture dictates how much your shoulder tilts... which is what I have been saying.

Yep I understand sometimes you need to do what these hitters are doing here. Batter(athletes) will do what they need to do to get barrel on ball... even it means not being in ideal position.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
You still need an extra toe because now you have to teach them how to adjust with the back knee :). Regardless, you mentioned shoulder tilt and posture in your 10. Shoulder tilt be adjusted as per pitch location, you agree? And posture dictates how much your shoulder tilts... which is what I have been saying.

Yep I understand sometimes you need to do what these hitters are doing here. Batter(athletes) will do what they need to do to get barrel on ball... even it means not being in ideal position.

There is nothing here to take exception to, as before. Look at Trout's shoulder tilt and hips vacating to get down to the ball. Perhaps a little exaggerated, but perhaps a perfect fit to his perception. That is why the tilt comes so early during initial backside rotation, or end up playing crochet.

I have taught very few players to drop the back knee. I couldn't do it against the top speed pitchers. 10 was an original guess.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
You coach a national team right?... most of these hitters already know how to hit by the time you see them.

I inherit girls with pathetic mechanics. One of the more common is dropping the front elbow as soon as the back elbow gets to slot. I had a high school team at the Nation HS championships with 100% doing that. I gave them a 2 hour lesson that evening. They got "no-hit" two straight games by weak teams. The next 4 days they ended up winning 50% of their games just over that one issue. Some don't know how to spot it.

I forgot to post these photos of girls I have coached that have the dropped front elbow problem. I see it constantly in Europe and in the Philippines. So we do drills specific to form the "power-box".

Attachments

• 12009728_1081661585199298_8885466816768033813_n.jpg
    12009728_1081661585199298_8885466816768033813_n.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 17
  • jennahitting.jpg
    jennahitting.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Power box 1.jpg
    Power box 1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 15
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Another look at having the hands back and a straighter lead arm. Not the same as Cabrera.

giphy.gif

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Another look at having the hands back and a straighter lead arm. Not the same as Cabrera.

giphy.gif

Any low pitch requires a straighter arm to reach it.
Any outside pitch requires a straighter arm to reach it.
Any pitch in which the batter if fooled where the pitch is moving away, and it can eve happen on a change-up, requires a straighter arm to reach it.

The issue is, is an arm-barred swing more efficient, more applicable to ALL pitches, than a flexed elbow?
And as I have said a few times now, one photo or one video does not represent empirical evidence. 30 is starting to get there.

I will say that taller players seem to reach more and exercise arm-bar more than shorter players; guys like Rizzo, Heyward, Judge and Freeman included. Now here are 3 photos that show Aaron Judge swings with a flexed elbow! So he never swings with an arm-bar, right? No it isn't. Not true at all. But as I say, a barred-arm can be "orthodoxy", or it can be a reaction to the pitch. I will never comment on "arm-bar" again. It is too similar to arguing religion. Your choice!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 7
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Judge.jpg
    Judge.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 6
May 12, 2016
Any low pitch requires a straighter arm to reach it.
Any outside pitch requires a straighter arm to reach it.
Any pitch in which the batter if fooled where the pitch is moving away, and it can eve happen on a change-up, requires a straighter arm to reach it.

The issue is, is an arm-barred swing more efficient, more applicable to ALL pitches, than a flexed elbow?
And as I have said a few times now, one photo or one video does not represent empirical evidence. 30 is starting to get there.

I will say that taller players seem to reach more and exercise arm-bar more than shorter players; guys like Rizzo, Heyward, Judge and Freeman included. Now here are 3 photos that show Aaron Judge swings with a flexed elbow! So he never swings with an arm-bar, right? No it isn't. Not true at all. But as I say, a barred-arm can be "orthodoxy", or it can be a reaction to the pitch. I will never comment on "arm-bar" again. It is too similar to arguing religion. Your choice!
Which is why I said from the beginning "Arm Bar" is a no teach. Hitter going to do what's necessary to barrel up the ball. I've seen some ridiculous bent elbow swings to get to an inside pitch as well.. not an idea swing, but necessary and efficient in that situation. Arm bar is bad when the lead arm gets pinned to the hitters body because the hands are left behind and the hitters trunk has already started to rotate.. that needs to be corrected. Arm bar can be just has efficient as any bent elbow swing depending on pitch location.. and who's swinging the bat. I see many more LH handed hitters(right hand dominated) bar their lead arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28