Who said an arm bar is bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Griffey could hit up and in and down and away.

And you will now say that Griffey does it all with a locked out front elbow?

See Zjavy Baez chasing a curve-ball 6-8 inches off the plate? #1 Hit it out fromt, #2 Pulled down the left-field foul line for a game winning hit. Over-extended right-arm, lost power-box.

Baez often releases his wrist early, struggles with too many strikes on checked swings while getting fooled. He can't hold up his swing. This is one example of what I am talking about. Where Baez us overly anxious, my catcher, Cheska, shows holding up her swing with a perfect arm position (power-box) at the World Championships Also a Chinese player checks her swing.

Attachments

• 20200917141240.jpg
    20200917141240.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
And you will now say that Griffey does it all with a locked out front elbow?

See Zjavy Baez chasing a curve-ball 6-8 inches off the plate? #1 Hit it out fromt, #2 Pulled down the left-field foul line for a game winning hit. Over-extended right-arm, lost power-box.

Baez often releases his wrist early, struggles with too many strikes on checked swings while getting fooled. He can't hold up his swing. This is one example of what I am talking about. Where Baez us overly anxious, my catcher, Cheska, shows holding up her swing with a perfect arm position (power-box) at the World Championships Also a Chinese player checks her swing.
You're reaching....attributing bad decision making to bad mechanics. The bent arms introduce slack in the system. (see Perry Husband)
Let's see your catcher hit some bombs and then we can talk.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
You're reaching....attributing bad decision making to bad mechanics. The bent arms introduce slack in the system. (see Perry Husband)
Let's see your catcher hit some bombs and then we can talk.

"Reaching?" No, I am attributing bad decisions with great pitching. That is why the Kershaws DeGromes, Baurs, and Beibers are who they are. In D1 there are few hitters without reasonable mechanics. But at all levels of round ball, there are few perfect "batting-tee" swings in live games. 95% are compromised, between 5% and pathetic. So you tell me where 'bad decisions" come from?

I think there are more pitching coaching and technics than Perry Husband. Not to knock him, but for me he is not the be all end all. Arm extension is good, and getting the arms long when permitted is fine. However, for me it is "when allowable", not an orthodoxy. And if you think I must comport to Perry Husband, that is orthodoxy. Don't lock out your elbow unless . . . . .

As for Cheska, she played here for a less than qualified coach. My goal was to get as many native girls as starters. I got 3, all of whom were in the top 5 in offense. Dani Gilmore of Oregon State was 1st, although my girl Arianne Valesteros was 2nd in BA, 1st in HRs, slugging, and RBIs. Cheska was 3rd, and my "best" hitter, Gel, had a bad campaign in 2017 but was still 5th over-all. That is with starters from UCLA, Arizona, UNLV, Oregon, Washington, Kentucky, Maryland, Connecticut, etc. So Cheska did pretty well (finishing 3rd in HR), as they all did considering there was not 1 legitimate softball field, no equipment, poor pitching up to 60mph only, $50 gloves, and constant summer rain during the qualifiers, in the Philippines. And that year we were the 4th best team in the world. But after 2017 I only coach the Junior National Team. That is the biggest need.

I will not respond to your "arm-bar" theology any more. You tire me! I will continue to coach against the Scott Erikson's and Laura Berg's, and you do what you do.

Now here is a great piece of hitting mechanics. Stanton drives a HR to right-center. See the back knee and belly-button orientation? As I have said before, that is how you drive an outside pitch. Kept it on the sweet-spot, bent front elbow too.

Attachments

• Stanton.jpg
    Stanton.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This is arm bar. Perry’s kids.

giphy.gif

I will be back with more swings.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
This is arm bar. Perry’s kids.
batdrag.JPG
The arm bar is not the problem. This is the problem with almost everything in hitting instruction - it's all backwards or destructive.

Most instructors call this armbar, then 'fix' the armbar - thereby breaking the swing - AND LEAVING THE BAT DRAG.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
efastball

Yes the arm bar that everyone is afraid of is often not the problem. I just don’t agree with premise that all you need is to arm bar or stretch more.

They see the arm barred out and think that is problem.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
efastball

You can create a deep rotational point with the hands. The elbow might appear to lead when that is done. I’ve seen some very good hitters who look like they have bat drag. Not saying this is the case in that swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I will post some more swings. In the meantime what or is there more one thing happening in the swing that creates bat drag?

What causes bat drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802